Not sure why we're doing this....

Taking a perfectly nice, well known and thought of "Bird" and redoing it when I have so many projects that need finished.

Pretty much because my bike had incorrect wheels, etc and I had a roller that I want to get rid of and need to switch some parts around before I let it go. SO it's going to free up some space and a few bucks in the process.

Here's the bike my wife bought me over 10 years ago as a birthday/Christmas/anniversary gift combined one year after knowing I wanted it and tracked the guy down behind my back to be a surprise. Trust me, I never expected that one. Many of you have seen it over on minidoodle and I see it quite often used as a reference here on OldMiniBikes.

Staying yellow, but a buddy owes me some paint work and I remember him mentioning having lots of yellow.

Wheels were blasted and painted white.

Not sure if it's original or not, but the chainguard on the roller I had is going on my bike. (originally thought it was original, but not so sure now. need to do some research)

Engine will be repainted white with new decal.

Shocks will NOT look like that anymore. Trying to make it better while still keeping the sentimental value high and not change too much.

Today Alex got it stripped down and started making a bracket for the chainguard and going to fill some nasty weld and blend it, then we'll use some filler like the custom chopper guys do it. Also need to straighten the footpegs out:

I see a few differences in my bike VS the roller that I had once you get everything together: The fork tube diameters and handlebar shape are different as well as the roller has the support brackets at the headstock like many Birds do, but mine doesn't look like it ever did.

I don't know whether it was a design change over the years or whether it was a Bird vs Dept store design difference. If anyone knows, speak up. Otherwise I'll have to start a thread in the what is it section...

Pretty slow at the shop, so he was back on it today.
Took a beat up Lil Indian fender I ran through ebay a few times without selling and cut it down to make a match for the rear. I really like the rear fender, not sure if it's original or add on or not, but we made the Lil Indian look like a match and welded it on with a slight tilt to the rear.

Last edited:
Beefed up the nasty weld up by the neck tube. Plan to do some grinding and using filler to smooth this area.

Straightened the footpegs that were slightly bent from running into things in it's past life.

Added a nice round foot pad on the scrub brake...With the clutch cover on the stock pad is so close it would cause your foot to scratch the paint on the cover. I noticed other people adding things to bikes with that cover too.

Tossing around the idea of using this NOS Azusa gas tank I got from Mac. Just not sure if I look the look or if I should even get too far away from the original spirit of this bike that was a gift. I do know that I think I would feel better lowering the seat down an inch or two to be more in plane with the tank if I decided to go that way. The engine would look much cleaner without a tank on it.

Opinions?

Master plan is yellow again, but maybe with some heavy flake over it, white engine and wheels, and maybe some white with someother color pinstriping on the fenders, chaingaurd and possibly the tank.

Got the stuff back from my painter buddy. I wanted to stay with the same color to still look the same as it always did at first glance since it was a gift and also because this bike is so well known already, but I did ask him to throw some heavy flake at it and it looks pretty good. His intention was to semi match the grips:

Almost ready to go back together, but wanted to have some oldschool pinstriping done on the fenders and chainguard, but having a hard time finding someone. There are local places I could go, but first wanted to have a buddy of mine's son do it who's a master at it, but out in Florida and won't be back for a month or two.

The last 2 days there has a been a lady pinstriper (well known in the area) at my buddy's bodyshop next door to my shop working on a car they are painting with crazy graphics and can't get her to come over and do it. I asked my buddy to send her over when she's done for the day and 2 days in a row she didn't bother to come over...less than 100 feet away and I have everything laid out on a table for her and she has her junk all opened up from working next door. Maybe chump change ain't her thing I don't know...