obsolete parts for 3hp?

I just got off the phone with the local small engine shop and they told me my magneto is no longer available. I went to parts tree and it said the same thing. Any sugestions?

The part number I got is 291617 if that helps anyone

Last edited:
try stens.they should still make them.
gokartparts.com may have what you need also.
if all else fails,i have some used ones.no points required.

There is a replacement unit available on Ebay sold by small-engine-deals that is a sub for the 291617. Use p/n 298502. Good Luck. Check this p/n with your small engine repair shop.

I see that there are only two mounting holes for this coil, does it mount right up or do I need to do some type of modification? I found one on Amazon for 21 bucks so I guess it is worth a shot. I will let everyone know how I make out. Thanks

I rebuilt a 1959 briggs, 2 1/2hp. One thing I noticed.. the flywheel magnets were different than the newer motors and the coil was different. The core of the winding was vertical on the older motor and horizontal on the new. I don't know if there is a replacement for these old coils.

That is interesting. I wonder why they would do that. There must be a reason. I ordered the coil so if you see it listed in the classified you will know that it did not work :doah:

could you post a pic of your old coil? I tried to cross match part numbers and got Primeline # 7-01603 but that shows the newer horizontal core coil. You may have to change to a newer flywheel to work with the new coil. Make sure you are setting the points right first. As you turn the crank, you will see the points open and close. Set the point gap when the points are open.

Last edited:
I think I will just return the coil then. If I am going to change the fly wheel I might as well put in an electronic ignition. I will get this little guy to run if it kills me or my wife kills me for dumping money into it. We should have a dog house smiley face because that where these little projects put me.

Mountain, I had the same problem finding parts for my 3hp, but what I did was pick up a shit load of parts engines (usually verical shaft motor fram lann mowers) they are cheap or sometimes free, and usually the parts last good too.

The bike is up and running. I am not sure what happened but now it is throwing good spark. I had taken the coil out and had it in my car and the sun heated it up. I decided that I was going to give it one more shot and make sure the points were right on and the fly wheel was .010 and no more. What ever I did the last time worked. Thank you all for the advice, it helped me learn alot about that little engine.

This is what it is all about!
View attachment 29874