OK, check this out- HS40= HS50?

So! So I check out the forum tonight, and like I was afraid, you guys say the H60 won't fit. A while later, I remember an engine a guy gave me years back. Said it was off a Craftsman snowblower, that it ran well, but he didnt know how to decode the Sears #s, and thought it was a 3hp. It's been stashed away for years, I'd forgoten all about it. So I go out to the garage, jot down the numbers, come back in and look 'em up. 143.784132, my manual tells me that's a HS50 6780F. That's a 5hp, right? Run back out to the garage and pull the cord, lots of compression and a BIG blue spark (solid state, baby!). Come back in, think some more, run to the garage again, check the shaft. About 2 1/2" length, 3/4 diameter, keyed. What's the old saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes? Now before I get to happy, thse engines have the same footprint, right? The tins from the old HS40 are in great shape and set up with the Tecumseh throttle return kit. I'd like to slap the old shroud/starter right on this new one. Also, the carb and intake are long gone from the HS50. The intake and exhaust should bolt right up, but I see that the carb #s are different between the 40 and 50. Should the one from my old engine feed this one adequately? Hey, again, don't mean to sound like a wuss. I've worked on mowers and tractors all my life, and I've put some crazy stuff on things where they sure didn't belong, but it sure is sweet when you just swap the same engines. Not dickin' around with linkages, mounting bolts, etc., I was hoping to get mine running quick and easy so the wife and I can go exploring on our vacation :scooter:. Hey, thanks to you all again for your advice!

markus

the intakes have a different footprint, If they are both later shrouds they might cross, do they look the same? the hs50's I am converting over use different flywheels and shrouds then the hs40's I am using as donors. I have to swap flywheels in order to use the shrouds (these are points motors).

the intakes have a different footprint, If they are both later shrouds they might cross, do they look the same? the hs50's I am converting over use different flywheels and shrouds then the hs40's I am using as donors. I have to swap flywheels in order to use the shrouds (these are points motors).
Markus Welby....Mini Mike M.D.

Last edited:
Wow! As always, thanks for the great info. I think the shrouds should swap, they look the same, if not, I can clean up the one that cme stock on the HS50. As far as the intake goes, I guess I have a problem then. Did Tecumseh make an angled intake tube for the HS50? My engine sits in the bike on an angle like a Rupp. My bike is an old Sears 'Puddlejumper', if you could come up with a part #, that sure would be great. Another ? about engines mounted on an angle - what about oil levels? The HS50 is from a snowblower, and the mounting surface of the the engine is parallel to the ground. What's your thoughts on that? Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Markus (and anybody else with any thoughts or ideas too)!

So! I was just pokin' around looking at puddle jumpers. I see one with a straight intake tube, with the carb at an angle. Would that run alright? Mine likes to climb up and down hills, looks like going up, it would be level, but going down, would it starve for fuel? I think I have a 5 hp straight intake tube somewhere, again, any thoughts?

Wow! As always, thanks for the great info. I think the shrouds should swap, they look the same, if not, I can clean up the one that cme stock on the HS50. As far as the intake goes, I guess I have a problem then. Did Tecumseh make an angled intake tube for the HS50? My engine sits in the bike on an angle like a Rupp. My bike is an old Sears 'Puddlejumper', if you could come up with a part #, that sure would be great. Another ? about engines mounted on an angle - what about oil levels? The HS50 is from a snowblower, and the mounting surface of the the engine is parallel to the ground. What's your thoughts on that? Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Markus (and anybody else with any thoughts or ideas too)!
HS40 and HS50 are basically the same engine, different bore,larger exhaust port and intake on the 5hp.For your swap you'll going to need a points type 4 hp crank, flywheel, starter cup and shroud.Yes they made a 5 hp slant intake.Did this swap on a Rupp with a cracked block.As far as a angle mounted engine, doesn't make much difference. hs50 drop slant intake minibike The 5 hp slanted intakes are not as common as the 4 hp.Can be big $$.Hope this helps.

markus

Wild bill, in addition to the intake listed above, somebody also makes a slanted spacer that would "level" out the carb I've seen it on here, never had a need for one so I don't have the info though. the other alternative is to run a diaphragm carb like Rupp did in 1970. they can be a little finicky over a bowl carb. I have seen guys just run bowl carbs at an angle, some say they never have any problems, some say the opposite. You may want to adjust your float level a touch if you try that in accordance to the angle of carb.

Reguarding oil, The dipper comes down off the rod pretty far, there is nothing different used internally between angled and non angled motors for oil delivery. Only bikes with angled motors that I have messed with have been Rupps, I can tell you they use a dipstick. While I have never actually measured the amount of oil used I would imagine its that same that you would put in if the motor was level. True Rupp motors also used a ball bearing on the output side of the shaft where most every thing else I have pulled off minibikes etc. did not. I don't know if that was an angled motor thing or because they used a longer shaft for the TC driver though.

I have a mini w/ an angled plate and tossed a tecumseh on it, I made an angled wedge shape out of aluminum for the carb spacer to tilt it level again.

Excellent! Thanks as always guys. Middle, thanks for the link. Yeah, that's a bit pricey, but if that's what it takes... in the mean time, I was thinking along the lines of the wedge adapter like Markus and Tx were talkin' about. I figured I could build a crude one, but it would be nice if these are available. I'll check the pages, if one of you all know where I can find one, or can direct me to someone who makes them, that would be great. In the meantime, I found another HS40, think I'll throw it in the jumper so the wife and I can go exploring, but when I get back, I'm gonna work on that HS50 swap. I figure one extra horse and solid state, what the heck! Hey, thanks again for all the help. Great forum you guys have here!

jrzmac

I was thinking along the lines of the wedge adapter like Markus and Tx were talkin' about. I figured I could build a crude one, but it would be nice if these are available. I'll check the pages, if one of you all know where I can find one, or can direct me to someone who makes them, that would be great.
I bought mine about 5 years ago. the guys name is "Hamlin57". this is what they look like -