Old briggs questions

So Im throwing together the old taco 44 still and decided to use an old briggs flathead instead of the predator. Its not as old as I wanted but for 40$ with a clutch and exhaust I cant complain. Although it looks vintage because its still an older engine it would be really cool make it look more vintage. My questions are has anyone on here ever retro fitted a older blower housing and tank on a newer style briggs? Or is there anyone on here who painted and decaled one to make it look like a 60s or 70s briggs? And as far as mods I know its just a 3hp but has any performance built one of these things? Im thinking about making it a 3hp version of a raptor

Attachments

Simple answers, yes an older style 2-3hp shroud should fit, you already have the older style carb just need the air cleaner to match. There are things you can do to hop it up but you are only going to get so much out of that Vacujet carb setup

So Im throwing together the old taco 44 still and decided to use an old briggs flathead instead of the predator. Its not as old as I wanted but for 40$ with a clutch and exhaust I cant complain. Although it looks vintage because its still an older engine it would be really cool make it look more vintage. My questions are has anyone on here ever retro fitted a older blower housing and tank on a newer style briggs? Or is there anyone on here who painted and decaled one to make it look like a 60s or 70s briggs? And as far as mods I know its just a 3hp but has any performance built one of these things? Im thinking about making it a 3hp version of a raptor
This is a '92 Briggs 3hp I 'retro-ed' and put on my Fox Sprite chopper. I found a '72 shroud on fleabay that fits that I have plans to use in the near future.

Attachments

Simple answers, yes an older style 2-3hp shroud should fit, you already have the older style carb just need the air cleaner to match. There are things you can do to hop it up but you are only going to get so much out of that Vacujet carb setup
Yeah im thinking about a 19mm mikuni clone, saw a guy do it on a 3hp predator

Is there any issues using the old shroud with the new ignition set up not being points?

No issues with a non points ignition.
I used a B&S part # 691922 intake manifold so I could run a Tecumseh style carb. I don't see any listed on ebay right now, but they're out there and not too expensive.
Ok thanks, I have a guy who has a 70s Briggs 2hp edger with the white shroud and tank, I know the 2hp and 3hp are basically the same far as parts. I was going to buy it and use it for the conversion to make my engine look older. Maybe do a bronze version

Harquebus

Have to agree, the older curved blower shrouds have a more aesthetic appeal and probably have (marginally) better airflow.
They run 3 degrees cooler! (joking)
:D
And (ducking for cover) I'd suggest removing the governor for some extra revolutions per minute, but gee whiz, don't over-rev it.
Pretty sure valve flutter will be the defacto speed limiter when you remove the governor.

Have to agree, the older curved blower shrouds have a more aesthetic appeal and probably have (marginally) better airflow.
And (ducking for cover) I'd suggest removing the governor for some extra revolutions per minute, but gee whiz, don't over-rev it.
Pretty sure valve flutter will be the defacto speed limiter when you remove the governor.
Yeah not that I plan to blow it up lol, but I kinda just bought it to play with. My taco mini bike is a 60s era so thats why I was curious could I swap out the blowers. Far as mods I plan to remove the governor if its not already, add a mikuni clone 19mm, port and polish work and replace all the oil seals. Basically a nice fiesty 3hp not a race bike

I removed the governor and haven't had any problems. But my bike is a cruiser, not for drag racing.

Addicted 2 Minis

The tank and carb you have on there are probably older than the bike. The ones where the pull choke is sideways only have one hole in the tank and only one fuel pickup tube. I think they went away from those in 63/64 in favor of the two hole ones with two pickup tubes. The second tube was to help keep the carb primed and to aide in starting to the best of my knowledge. The two tube carbs have the pull choke up and down like in the picture, the one on the edger you're talking about probably has one and would be the better one of the two. Briggs carbs are kind of a pain, they're pretty much all the same but different. Some aren't that minibike friendly and the ones that aren't don't seem to have the right holes tapped for the linkage to make them that way. You could always use a knock-off Briggs china carb but you'll have to swap pickup tubes as they all have the three quart tank tubes. They also offer a knock-off Raptor carb without a choke but the china carbs pickup tubes are threaded in where most Briggs carbs are just pressed in. I was going to make a list of part numbers to make it easier when I get a chance.

Briggs_Carb_02.jpeg

The tank and carb you have on there are probably older than the bike. The ones where the pull choke is sideways only have one hole in the tank and only one fuel pickup tube. I think they went away from those in 63/64 in favor of the two hole ones with two pickup tubes. The second tube was to help keep the carb primed and to aide in starting to the best of my knowledge. The two tube carbs have the pull choke up and down like in the picture, the one on the edger you're talking about probably has one and would be the better one of the two. Briggs carbs are kind of a pain, they're pretty much all the same but different. Some aren't that minibike friendly and the ones that aren't don't seem to have the right holes tapped for the linkage to make them that way. You could always use a knock-off Briggs china carb but you'll have to swap pickup tubes as they all have the three quart tank tubes. They also offer a knock-off Raptor carb without a choke but the china carbs pickup tubes are threaded in where most Briggs carbs are just pressed in. I was going to make a list of part numbers to make it easier when I get a chance.

View attachment 299364
Interesting, on the blower housing I have the numbers say its a 94 even though Im not certain. I googled a 94 briggs and heres a nos one that looks identical to mines but it being a 90s engine I wouldve thought it would have a plasic cap or a tank. Im still figuring out the engine but who knows what was swapped out before

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

Interesting, on the blower housing I have the numbers say its a 94 even though Im not certain. I googled a 94 briggs and heres a nos one that looks identical to mines but it being a 90s engine I wouldve thought it would have a plasic cap or a tank. Im still figuring out the engine but who knows what was swapped out before
His engine may be NOS but he definitely swapped out the tank and carb. You’re right, the 90’s engines did have a plastic cap and a tank mounted bracket for the controls. Sucks that the edger guy flaked, not to worry though, they’re all over market place from $30-$75.

His engine may be NOS but he definitely swapped out the tank and carb. You’re right, the 90’s engines did have a plastic cap and a tank mounted bracket for the controls. Sucks that the edger guy flaked, not to worry though, they’re all over market place from $30-$75.
Yeah so many engines out there but Im starting to think some guys list things because there wives made them lol, they dont actually want to sale them so they bs alot