Old Rotax 185

Anybody know anything about the (older) 2 stroke Rotax engines? I forgot I had this thing. Its an ultralight plane engine that has a bolt-on belt drive. Claims up to 15 HP at 5500 rpms. Just wondering if they are good reliable engines. I never ran it. Might be better off sticking it on ebay.:confused: I was thinking of using it on a kart or mini, but it may not be worth the trouble.
Also found a Solo 210, but I dont have the ignition or anything. Just the bare block. :sadcrying4:

Thanks for any info.:thumbsup::smile:

Have a pic?? I would say there close on the HP, and if it's in good shape, it should be a reliable engine. Being an ultra light engine, durability and reliability should be at the top of the list of requirements. I have one I believe is a 299cc at my in-laws, and I'm going to bring it home soon and find a use for it. I think they were used on snowmobiles and 6 wheeled amphibious vehicles too. I had mine running a few years ago on a Honda Odyssey, and it was too much. I guessed it at 20-24hp, maybe a little more.

That one is a little newer than mine. I bought mine about 20 years ago, and it wasn't too new then. It didn't have a lot of abuse though. One strange thing about it is it only had one ring on the piston, a wide ring with a lip that fit the groove. If I remember right, the top of the ring was flush with or maybe a little higher than the piston crown. It has a big driver on it for a belt and I have a driven to match. Yours would make a killer engine on a drag style mini.:thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have seen those before and always wanted one of them. The larger the better 299cc or bigger. I seen them pull start, and what looks like a large tillotson carb.

Of course I would modify it to run a race clutch and have it turn a good 6,500 RPM. Should make about 20hp easy at that RPM and run all day long.

If the 185cc is 15hp
What was the 299cc motor rated at?

oldsledz

The Rotax engines were used on Ski-doo snowmobiles from 1963 to present.

Over the years Ski-doo has used engines from 148-cc to 797 cc.
The 299-cc engine was rated at 12 to 16 HP depending on the year I don't think the HP and used a Tilly HR carb. I think 12-hp may be all they ever put out for power I believe they were over rated for marketing.

The 185 was never used in a snowmobile but the 15-hp rating is probably right do to porting and higher compression. Many of the higher performance 2 cycle engines used a single ring.

The Rotax engines are vary good I have a bunch of the from 148-cc to 640-cc.

Thanks for all the info. I found some boxes in storage w/ some old engines I have--Rotax, Solo 210, a couple small Sachs, a Kawasaki twin (Snowmobile?) modified to run a propeller, etc..

I'm going to keep the Rotax and see what I can do w/ it.:scooter:

oldsledz

I am not sure what the Solo 210 is, I know they had a model 206 (180-cc) and Model (209 220-cc) they were used in Snowmobiles and made good HP for their size.

Kawasaki did make Snowmobile engines.

Thanks for more info!
years ago, I believe the guy I got the Solo from said they were made for leaf blowers, who knows.. (14 hp?!) Mines never been run. I noticed this website has dropped their price on them from 600+ to 300+.
Small Engine Warehouse: Solo-210 - Solo

The Kawasaki is an inline twin, I need to find all the parts. I turned a big aluminum adaper to run a propeller, in hopes of building an airboat....many (crazy) years ago.:eek:ut::thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Single cyclinder, the bigger the better.
I know they come with different size shafts, that why it needs to have a big one so I can't put a race clutch on it.

Rotax 185

Hello,

I'm in need of a Rotax 185 with a reduction drive. If anyone has one at there disposal I would be interested in purchasing this item for may project.

Andrew
Brownsburg, IN

old rotax engine???

hello i found a old rotax engine i believe is from 70s it has a tag that says model number 2062191 i have had no luck finding any info on it. it is out of a six wheeler . iff somone can help please post . i know the engine ran good and six wheeler was junked and moter taken out before . don