Old Shop Tools / Quiz

Ever notice how most threads here are about the cheap Chinese crap from HF or PA?

I thought I would share wuth you a couple of my antique tools.
Actualy these are daily drivers too lol..

The screw driver may not look familiar to my American friends but that in a Geniun PL Robertson #2 screw driver from the 1950s.
What made the tool unique was the square head screw PL pattented.
You can put the screw in the bit in the end and turn it upside down.
It will not fall out and it will not cam out when you torque the screw like a blade or phillips.
Story goes Henry Ford liked it so much he tried to buy it from old PL, but PL refused.
The screws were stamped so they were cheaper to make than traditional blade screws.
But PL knew he had something good and sold them for more reasoning a Premium screw would be worth it.
And when the tip worn out he would sell you a new insert instead of the whole tool so it was made of cheaper to make steel but still had a fine tool steel end.
A foot note screw only popular with electricians, but in Canada its the only screw you realy want to use.....

The other is a fine crimping tool made int he USA by Bucanana tool called a Pres-Sure.
This tool went back to the early days of wiring homes.
Back then the electrician had to run around with a solder pot and dip all the twisted ends for form a connection.
This had the tendency to cause a lot of burns and fires.
Other mechanical means of joining wires used plyers and this meant the crimp was not always as tight as it should be.
The Pres-Sure has four hard to see pins that crush a copper furl down on the sires you want to splice and they never ever come off.
Although this too is a foot note tool that I don't think they even make anymore the furls are still made and if you look inside most quality American made electrical equipment the factory probably used an industrial version of this to make the connections inside.
Wire nuts came later but they never matched the Sure-Pres for a reliable crimp.
I use this tool too but today I use the wire nuts more than the furls and this tool is mostly for un insulated ring termninal I never want to fall apart...

So check out the yard sales on your way to the cheap Chinese tool store.
maybe you find a classic tool thats better....

I have one of those crimpers...different brand. The jaws inside mine are shaped so that they look like they would encompass nearly the entire circumference of the ferrule...I always wondered....where does the displaced metal from the ferrule go...:confused:

I also have a very old set of Rajah clip pliers...these things must be from the '30s.

Last edited:
I have one of those crimpers...I always wondered if it squeezing from all the way around where does the displaced metal from the ferrule go...:confused:
It simply compresses the copper furl from 4 sides and collapses the round furl onto the wires you wish to join.

Regular crimpers flatten a lug or punch it with a pin.
These have 4 pins so they squeeze from 4 sides.

I have some bigger crimpers ( monster crimpers ) for copper cables as big as your thumb.
Although the code requires specific crimpers with dyes now for most work I like older pin types.
Even the single pin and v block is in my opinion better ifyou know how to use it and how much presure to aply.

Same for the sure press you can see how much you crush and you can feel how much presure.
This is handy when you do things your not suposed to like two different size wires or metric wire.
You still get a reliable crimp

It simply compresses the copper furl from 4 sides and collapses the round furl onto the wires you wish to join.

Regular crimpers flatten a lug or punch it with a pin.
These have 4 pins so they squeeze from 4 sides.

that's the way mine are...like little lathe jaws inside...so the copper terminal must grow in length as you crimp...that metal has to go somehwere..

Ah the adjustable spanner....

Here its mostly known as Monkey Wrench.
Thats the bad ass older big brother to the Cresent.

Sometimes called an English Key.....
Comonly seen in the game clue as a murder weapon lol.

That's it...lotta folks interchange the terms...

A true Monkey wrench has smooth jaws with the adjustable jaw being the lower jaw...opposite of the "pipe" wrench which has serrated jaws and the lower jaw is fixed. Lot of the old timers here still refer to these as "Stilson" wrenches...after an old brand name or the inventor...:shrug:

I'll get out in the shop tomorrow and take some pics of the antique junk I have....

Last edited:
I can't pass up any excuse to show off the old blow torches.

These are American gasoline torches.
The C&L is a real old timer from the 30s unique because it was a high end tool with a rapid preheater.
The Preway is my daily driver though.
I don't use any profane around my home.

That preway gave me a lot of grief in the video.
I shoudl have reshot that but take my word for it the preway is not all that hard to light. I just was not giving it the attention it requires and the wind was not helping my cause ( also missing the wind shade for preheating.
Excuses I have plenty of....

Gasoline Blowtorch - YouTube

Non of it is junk KKK!!!!!!!
Anyt tool that gets you out of a bind is woirth its weight in gold

KKK:

Once you go gasoline you never go back....

These are just like any other torch.
Difference is they burn gasoline ( cheaper to use )
And they are a hotter than profane.

Years ago I had the Home Despot put some counter tops in my house.
I ran out of profane that summer and used the C&L 308 as it was the handiest.
The counter top guy thought it was paint gun at first......

Full of Coleman fuel it didn't smoke on start up and I lit it up in the kitchen.
Up and hot in about 10-20 seconds.

Did the plumbing and turned it off

Once he realized what it was how well it worked and how cheap it was to use.
He treid to buy it off me.
When I told it it was around a 300 dollar piece of history he just shook his head....

You can get new ones but seldom are they brass.
Best ones are from Russia or Ukraine.
Russian Type Gasoline Blowtorch Gasoline Blow Lamp - Buy Gasoline Welding Torch,Gasoline Blowtorch,Gasoline Blow Lamp Product on Alibaba.com

Watch Ebay for them....
BLOW TORCH BLOWLAMP BLOWPIPE 0.15 LITER LAMP FUEL PETROL GASOLINE ENGLISH MANUAL | eBay

If you watch for army surplus there is a milspec US gov torch I have wanted to get ( but usualy outbid on ) that burns JP-2 ( Kerosene )

There are many English and Continental types usualy Kerosene fueld too.
Those older types like the Monitors for the UK and Scandinavian ones are the most estheticaly pleasing.

The K-1 fueld / military types that buirn heavier fuels are generaly seen as safer.
But its not the torch but the fuel thats the issue.
Gasoline and propane are considered dangerous because leaks and spills are explosive.
K-1 and diesel torches are simply flamable and messy.

Went looking this is the guy I was searching for....
He has probably the best gasoline blow torches made today......

And this stove is a knock off of a Canadian Coleman stove, but its actualy much better made than anything Coleman made since the 500 series in the 70s.
Gas/coleman fuel or Kerosene.
Tempted to try and getthe distribution rights to these for Canada.
nothing for sale here is made this well...

PORTABLE TRAVEL CAMPING FUEL PATROL GASOLINE PRIMUS STOVE PT-2 | eBay

Copy of a Swedish Primus
PORTABLE TRAVEL CAMPING FUEL PATROL GASOLINE PRIMUS STOVE PT-3 | eBay

It's funny, I was just looking at some old tools on ebay. I always say I'm going to try to see how long I can go not buying a Chinese tool, but sometimes it's the best option. For small hand tools, I'm going to try to buy either old tools or American/European tools as much as I can.

I'm getting some German tools for Christmas... along with a Chinese Grizzly vice. I'm getting the Knipex Pliers wrench, some wera screwdrivers, NWS Germany Locking pliers and a pair of pliers. Next time I'll go the vintage route, it's cheaper :D

It's funny, I was just looking at some old tools on ebay. I always say I'm going to try to see how long I can go not buying a Chinese tool, but sometimes it's the best option. For small hand tools, I'm going to try to buy either old tools or American/European tools as much as I can.

I'm getting some German tools for Christmas... along with a Chinese Grizzly vice. I'm getting the Knipex Pliers wrench, some wera screwdrivers, NWS Germany Locking pliers and a pair of pliers. Next time I'll go the vintage route, it's cheaper :D
I never pass up a yard sale.
Best place to find old tools around Italians, they never throw anything out.
And when they die the wife sells everything lol.
Germans are burried with their tools.
Then the wife wrecks the car because he spent all his time with it and seemed to love it more than his wife lol

No seriously old neighborhoods have best yard sales with old tools.
Guys that spend 50 years in a house hoard all kinds of goodies.
Sadly when we die the wives sell/toss out everything.

Well ok here's my old gasoline fired blow-torch that's been sitting up on a shelf in my garage forever. This thing scares me just looking at it :eek:hmy:

Looked at it a little closer for the first time today and I actually think it might have never been used. It still has a price tag of $5.95 on it. There is a little hook wired on that screws into the top ..looks like it was never installed. Has a cool insignia engarved in the pump knob...says "Turner Brass Works"...looks like this company took some pride in their product. I gave it a couple pumps and it seemed to hold good pressure.....:shrug:

Newoldstock has vowed to teach me how to operate it but I may not take him up on it...:no:

Last edited:
Ah....

Thats a Truner ( obviously ).
Thats a very fine quality American made tool.
And yes it is brand new never been used....
That hook is for a soldering iron.
You rest the iron in the hook and dangle it over the V grove in the end to warm up.
Missing is a small steel hood used as a wind screen but ats will not effect how it opperates.

BRAND NEW OLD Torch.
This means 96% of all things you need fear like stress cracks of leaks are not an issue.
All it probably needs done KKK is to have the leather pump cup lubricated with some mineral oil and the dust blown off.

I would have a look at the cork check valve first ( might be dried up like the leather and need some oil or even replacement. I can help you with that ) but Its likely in perfect working order....

Turner, Preway C&L Wahl....
All these companies made extremely high quality tools.
The only reason we don't have new ones is people got lazy because propane is easy and ( used to be ) cheap.

But these old gassers are so nice to use once you get the hang of them.
They realy can blow the doors off a propaen torch for bith volume and intensity of heat.
They only realy fall down on the getting used to doing things like preheat, and for small delecate work they tend to be too powerful.

If I were left on a deseart Island I woudl want that Turner adrum of Coleman fuel and a crate of spam.
Everything else I could improvise lol.

I don't know about the USA but the last torche like that made in Canada manufactured was Butler brand from the Prescotte machine and screw company for Home Hardware.
That last order was in 1970.
A Coleman branded Blow torch is worth 500-750 dollars in the condition of yours..
Of course its also the same as the last Butler torches of 1970 ( Coleman ordered them swith a sticker to cover up the Butler markings ). so people fake antiques if your not careful lol.....

Last edited:
Ah....

If I were left on a deseart Island I woudl want that Turner adrum of Coleman fuel and a crate of spam.
Everything else I could improvise lol

Well I think my first wish would be Brooklyn Decker :girl:(you'll have to Google her).....:wink:

then maybe the blowtorch and some Spam....:laugh:

Couple more I spotted....my grandpop's old strap wrench:

This thing has bailed me out many times...sometimes it's the ONLY tool that will work!

My old Nicholson body file....one of my favorite tools....by adjusting the turnbuckle you can make the file convex, straight, or concave...very clever and built to last a lifetime. Was originally intended for filing body lead but it also works quite well on the modern synthetic body fillers...

Last edited: