Old "Sprite" getting a new life!

I am working with the "what is it" section to track down a more precise ID for the bike, but it looks to be an old Sprite probably from the 1970s.

My girlfriend's grandfather acquired it in the garbage while out looking for steel. Instantly I had a picture in my head of a complete bike to give to my girlfriend's little brother. He uses this rinky dink electric bike that can't get out of its own way; I thought we could upgrade his wheels a bit.

One day I was at her grandpas house and he offered the frame to me, to see if I could do something with it. Since I used to love gokarts and minibikes, I was excited to get a mostly complete rolling frame.

I disassembled it completely and gave everything a good looking over. I am on a fairly limited budget, and not looking to make it "like original" so some things that are still okay will be left alone for now. I got some basic new bearings for the wheels and the fork and a new bolt for the fork. The wheels were clearly used but still solid and the tires hold air and have decent tread left on them.

I get quarterly paychecks from the local volunteer fire department (not a lot but kind of like a bonus every few months) so I ordered up this engine right away. Looks to me like it is a Honda clone being sold by Briggs... I could be wrong, but thats what it appears to be. That being said, it starts with the slightest of pulls and runs smooth. I broke it in with some cheapo oil, and changed it out to Mobil 1.

I have been getting parts from a variety of places and test fitting them to the frame. I got some new chain, and a new sprocket for the wheel, and a new clutch and clutch guard. I also have ready to go a new throttle cable, twist grip and dummy grip, and kill switch.

I also work in a body shop doing mechanical work. My boss is a tinkerer himself and is very generous about letting me use the shop for projects as long as I pay for supplies, which is no problem.

Sometime in the next few weeks, my girlfriend and I are going to head up to the shop and sand blast the frame off. We are going to do our best to do a good paint job; rust inhibitor/sealer, primer, color, and clear. Her brother's favorite color is blue, so we are going to mix all the bits of left over blue together and see what kind of blue we get. There are some dark blues and some metallic blues, so it should be a neat color.

I will post some more pictures as things change. All that is left is to paint it, put it back together, and get a new seat.

That is a great find! :thumbsup: I like the style of it. I have to give you credit for using a Briggs instead of a clone, I don't know why, but I like to see a Briggs on a bike better. :laugh: That is great to have a boss who lets you use the shop tools for your own projects, really allows you to do nice work without going out and buying the tools yourself. You are truly lucky, all my girlfriend's father ever gave me was a drity look. :laugh: Seriously.

That is a great find! :thumbsup: I like the style of it. I have to give you credit for using a Briggs instead of a clone, I don't know why, but I like to see a Briggs on a bike better. :laugh:

I was kinda bummed to see "made in China" on the box, but as you said it is a Briggs and I think it has smoother overall styling. I have not had much trouble with a maintained Briggs, and with the warranty this one should do just fine. It sounds just like a Honda; I like how these style OHV engines run!

That is great to have a boss who lets you use the shop tools for your own projects, really allows you to do nice work without going out and buying the tools yourself.

He is actually a really cool guy. Been in the auto-body business 40+ years, and knows quite a bit. We are kinda slow like most shops due to the economy, but the guy pays me well and takes good care of me. Considering how blessed I am to have the job, I'll probably be here until he closes the doors.

You are truly lucky, all my girlfriend's father ever gave me was a drity look. :laugh: Seriously.

I know the feeling. My "dating" life is pretty short, but the one I am with I am certain I am going to marry. We have been dating for 3 1/2 years and have made it through some tough challenges; and her family is fantastic. Early on her dad had a few heart to heart talks with me where I made my good intentions clear. He is like a friend I can talk to just like my own dad.

Anyway, the pictures to come might just be me laying out the parts that I do have; I plan to have my girlfriend bring her nice camera the day we do the blasting/painting and get some shots of it evolving from rough to bare to fresh, but given our schedules it might have to wait some.

Looks like this Saturday evening we are going to attempt to head up to the shop and blast off the parts and get them primed. After some conversation with our painter we will be doing the priming one day and the color/clear another day.

I went through the leftover paints and these are all the blues I could find. Many are full pints of pure color which when added to reducer makes twice as much. I am thinking a lighter color to the frame with darker fenders, but I will let my g/f make the decision on which color we use or if we dare mix some up!

I also was cleaning out the garage today and found my old gokart/minibike helmet. I gave it a quick coat of polish and cleaned it up. I will give this with the minibike gift!

delray

GAS3987, from the looks of your frame you have a old fox doodle bug:thumbsup:
sprite frame would of had two down tubings from the tripple tree to the engine mount plate and the front lower forks for the axle to go thru would look little different.
green forks are sprites and primer forks are doodle bug/trail bug/ campus...etc..

http://www.minidoodle.com/id28.htm
there is a member here that makes a killer seat for that frame:thumbsup:

delray

yes Harleys Papa, some doodle bugs had two down tubings and the first models(early/mild60's) had single,but all sprites had two and the lower forks for the axle is different too and i believe they only came in green.:thumbsup:
look at GAS3987 bike real close it looks like you can see red and it still has the flat fenders on it too:thumbsup:
i have both models with single and double tubing. most of single tubing bikes always crack,but my bike look to be good. on my campus bike it does have a crack in it.

delray I dont want to get into a pissin match here but I dont see how from Gas3287;s pic how you can tell the difference in the forks? And Ogy was the 1st in his what is it thread that said it was a Sprite, maybe he will chime in with his wealth of Fox knowledge:bowdown:

delray

your right Harleys Papa, some of the early models did have single tubing and where painted red. total forgot about the early models:doah:.:thumbsup:
from what i have seen in brochures, the sprite didn't have fenders and the doodle bug did:shrug:........could it still be a doodle bug?

I thought Sprite's had no front springs/suspension and Doodlebugs had Front Suspension.

But looking at the ad placed up by Delray...the Doodlebug had no front suspension either?? maybe earlier models did not.

delray

couple things i notes if you look at it real close. one the fenders may not be original on his bike. bikes that i have seen posted in the pass have more of a square edge and the rear fender should be longer and both should curve more with the tire and if you look at the sprite brochure. the bike did come with fender tab mounts,so it wouldn't have been hard to make flat fenders for it and the big differents is the sprite add bike doesn't have jackshaft mounting brackets for the bearings? making GAS3987 a sprite bike:shrug:
OGY you the man ..............sprite bike yes:shrug:

either way GAS3987 have fun with you build:thumbsup: not trying to take away from your project. just that your bike is kind of a hard to find bike and can be a hard one to ID without looking at it real close.:thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch for the info. None taken at all. The frame was given to me by my girlfriend's grandfather that he got for free at a garage sale, so it is starting out a franken-bike but that's okay!

I can tell at one time it was a Sprite but after sandblasting it, it is clear it had many lives. I am in the process of uploading some pictures from Sunday. My girlfriend and I sandblasted and primed the whole thing; it looks awesome so far. We also mixed up a can of really nice metallic blue that I can't wait to spray on in a week or so.

Pictures incoming! (will be several hours due to internet delay)

Oh and for the seat I ordered a universal one off Amazon for $25... it will do the job!

Last edited:
Finally! Seems my internet signal is hit or miss in this small town.

Here are the latest pics from the rebuild.

All the parts laid out before.

All the parts freshly sand blasted.

The frame almost done being primed.

Forks all primed.

Fenders and foot pegs primed.

How it sits waiting for a light sanding followed by some color/clear!

Depending on scheduling this might end up as a belated birthday present; because I have to be respectful about using the shop only after hours, and both me and my girlfriend are pretty busy otherwise. But she helped sand blast and she helped paint and it was a lot of fun to do the work together.

It is not going to be a perfect job like doing a car, but compared to how it started it will be a lot nicer and we will learn a lot along the way.

I will check back when we get more done!

Well we made it up to the shop today and got it colored and cleared. It should be plenty dry by Monday to start putting it together. I can't wait to ride it!

Test fitting the seat.

Frame with some fresh color.

All awaiting a full dry over the weekend.

It's not a perfect job and we are novice painters, but it is worlds away from what we started with! I did not get a picture of it but I poured some of the leftover color into a touch up bottle; I am going to try to paint any exposed bolt heads blue to match better and then give the touch up with the bike/gift.

Getting closer!!!!

Thanks. It just makes me want to build one for me after we give this one to her brother... She actually said she would want to do one for us next. :smile:

Well today I turned out to have some free time; so I could not let this bike go unfinished. I went up to work and put it together and took 'er for a final test run. All that's left is to do some fine detailing/touch up and re adjust the new chain.

For anyone looking for an engine, this B&S "550" series is a great little runner. I think it's around 4 horsepower; it pulls my 180lb butt around without skipping a beat.

If they are still available I will buy another engine down the line; because after this I am DEFINITELY going to do another bike for me and the gf. Can't wait to see the look on her brother's face!