PAP's - Renegade - (Anything Goes)

Thanks for the info...I figured my luck it would something proprietary. Then on a side note, I was gonna start welding when I suddenly realized that my "auto darkening " welding helmet took a dump....it doesn't auto darken anymore!:scared: Surprise,surprise! It's the type that is (supposedly) solar powered. The ole lady is going outa town tomorrow, time to go shopping.

I got me a new helmet, and finished the frame welding, except the foot peg cross bar. I thought that I ought to have some pegs first to figure the width. So I get to scrounging around in my scrap/goody pile, and find a coupla old shot out varmint barrels that just happen to be fluted stainless. The light bulb came on when I figured half the work was already done. So I just chucked them up and cut matching grooves in the other direction.

I then milled the slots so they would fold and made the plugs to be welded in tube.

I guess you could call then "corn cob" foot pegs. I'll have put it together to get the rest of the small things tacked on, such as the brake lever and the tank and fender mounts. I might have a roller this weekend!

Well, I spent most of the weekend connecting the dots, and now this thing is starting to look like something mobile.

I put everything together to check out the bugs and do some tweaking. I tacked on some fork stops on the neck tube, and the tank mounting brackets.

I started on the brake pedal and noticed a problem with the linkage ratio being long on the travel, so I made up a shorter brake actuator arm, which lead to another issue of the rod interfering with a nut on the bottom shock bolt. So I had to eliminate the nut and weld an insert in the shock mount tab and just thread it ...like I did to the top. I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

Right now the brake pedal has about 2" of travel till it bottoms, but that will probably change once I actually road test it and adjust.

The next thing I want to tackle is a center stand. I've never seen a Rupp close up to see what exactly keeps it in place in the up position. I've thought using a broom handle clip, mounted to the stand that snap over the foot peg bar to keep it up. Anybody else have a solution?

Nice frame , the bike is looking great Paps . You are turning in to one of the sites top craftsmen . Maybe I could come and hang out with you and learn some of your skills .

An old fashioned spring, holding the center stand over center. Has to be over center, against a stop in the down position, with enough tension to hold it up to the frame in the up (riding) position.

I spent quite a few days fabricating one from scratch for my Tote Gote, and two different designs later, I had one. That bike required a center stand. On this bike you fabricated, I would not even mess with it. Go weld on side stand and call it a day.

I actually considered that tank, but the idea of plastic turned me off. I going to modify the tank that's on there...it won't look the same when I'm done.

Wow just awesome, thanks for all the detailed pictures. Just how does a man acquire all those awesome tools/equipment and the talent to use them? I am assuming you have a paint booth somewhere in the mix as well.