part number please

markus

32517 is the non lighted 1968-1974 aluminum HS40 flywheel, Those have actual part numbers cast into them so they are easier to spot :thumbsup:

32517 is the non lighted 1968-1974 aluminum HS40 flywheel, Those have actual part numbers cast into them so they are easier to spot :thumbsup:
What are the chances of actually "spotting" one?

Is there a steel or plastic finned alternative to the small taper (early) HS 40 cranks? For the person who isn't worried about the equally non-existent skinny shrouds?

markus

What are the chances of actually "spotting" one?

Is there a steel or plastic finned alternative to the small taper (early) HS 40 cranks? For the person who isn't worried about the equally non-existent skinny shrouds?
An aluminum? not to bad they are on ebay here and there from what I have seen, not hens teeth or anything.

Yes, the steel wheels for the larger square shrouds crossed with the HS50, those wheels went to steel with fins in 1974 they are pretty common, taper changed going into 1980 though you have to make sure to get the smaller taper (or use a later crank) though....they look identical other than the taper and can be hard to tell in pictures sometimes.

Here's some shots of the flywheels

[MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] thank you for that information. I have book marked several of your posts here with information like that. I am trying to put together a pre-1981 HS40, using a 33080 crank and some hotrod goodies. I am not trying to build a vintage Rupp engine. Having no luck with Ebay, and as you might imagine, there isn't a snow blower within hundreds of miles of me, much less one with a vintage HS40 on it.

Oh and just to show what a jack ass I am, last month I went to the dump and tossed the Tecumseh flywheel and cup I had that fit a 1974 standard crank. It looked a lot like that skinny one you have that says "HS 40" on it. Makes me a bit ill even typing this.

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of information on these Markus.

markus

Oh and just to show what a jack ass I am, last month I went to the dump and tossed the Tecumseh flywheel and cup I had that fit a 1974 standard crank. It looked a lot like that skinny one you have that says "HS 40" on it. Makes me a bit ill even typing this.

Thanks again for sharing your wealth of information on these Markus.

Just tell yourself it was a H25-35 flywheel that you tossed, those you cant give away usually :laugh: Hope you frisbee'ed it across the garbage pile, can get a little more air time with the smaller aluminum ones since they are 2lbs lighter than the thicker steel and early HS50 ones :thumbsup:

Just tell yourself it was a H25-35 flywheel that you tossed, those you cant give away usually :laugh: Hope you frisbee'ed it across the garbage pile, can get a little more air time with the smaller aluminum ones since they are 2lbs lighter than the thicker steel and early HS50 ones :thumbsup:
LOL, no, I carefully placed it on the pile of "recycled" metal I was selling, just before the highly paid expert who'd been staring at me informed me that I was supposed to get my truck weighed BEFORE unloading everything.

I could have got as much thirteen cents for it. Money down the drain. I'll find one on Ebay for $70 with a rusted nut and smashed Bellville washer. Probably get two of them, so I can throw the one with the large diameter hole back in that salvage pile.

So from reading your replies on this subject I am assuming my primary thought of waiting for a lighted coil and flywheel, is a better idea. Then trying to find a flywheel for my regular coil?

markus

So from reading your replies on this subject I am assuming my primary thought of waiting for a lighted coil and flywheel, is a better idea. Then trying to find a flywheel for my regular coil?
Waiting? those (lighted) wheels are on ebay constantly, at least 6 of them show as sold in the last 2 months compared to 1 non lighted, what are you waiting for?

Hey Markus, First off my pay pal balance is high at the moment.
Secondly I do have a non-lighted coil but no flywheel for it .
So considering this engine will be going on my Fox Iowa Fat Boy Spoiler.
I am not sure a lighted coil engine is needed. But I seen this fly wheel #31332 on ebay.
Upon placing this part number in the search bar the results were this coil works on Tecumseh engines 2.5 thru 5 HP.
Beings as I do not want to buy something I can not use.
I decided to post here knowing most likely you would reply.
As an after though I figured I should have posted the PN rather then fishing for an answer.
Sorry about that.