pep boys chinese motors

i was at pep boys this weekend and they had a 6hp motor there for $120 (3/4" horizontal drive). i was just wondering if any of you had any experience running these motors.

i'm thinking about picking one up for my mini bike just for the hell of it. i've got a 4hp Tecumseh right now (needs points) but i could go for a bit more power. are they worth it?

07D675

I just finished up a minibike with one of the "WEN" Pepboys engines,(6.5hp) and test rode it on Monday when my son got home from school. It fired up pretty easy once I remembered to turn on the ignition! And it ran real strong.
Climbed a hill behind my house good and on the street it went up a good sized hill and was picking up speed passing my sons firehawk. Can't tell you how long it might last but it ran surprisingly well.....

i went out there tonight to measure the bigger motors and there's no way they'll fit (i didn't think they would). they have a 5.5hp one for $90 right now. i'm going to pick one up this weekend.

07D675

I bought one of each since I have a couple minis. If I can't find on an old tecumseh at a reasonable price I might use the 5.5hp on my project build. I'll just strip the tank, air cleaner and muffler off of it and use something else.

I kick myself for not getting into my Pepboys, (basically at the end of my road) and snapping something more that brake-cleaner up when the store was having its "going out of business sale". Everything was 30% off or more, could have gotten a good deal on a motor...

this one is made by Wen Power. it's a red motor.

we got it in and got the throttle hooked up today. it's way faster than the 4hp Tecumseh HS40 that i had in it before. we did a GPS run and got up to 37.1mph (topped out at 29.x mph before). i might be able to get more out of it, but i almost wrecked when the chain came off doing about 20mph and locked up the rear wheel (i was a bit apprehensive about going for an all out run after that). if you sit back on the seat a little bit it will pull the front wheel.

i'm going to straight pipe it and pull all the CARB stuff off pretty soon. i'm hoping that will help it pick up a bit more speed. my buddy's is still .5mph faster than me. mine gets up there way faster though. :lol:

edit: i may try to get some new pics up tonight. i'm beat so i don't know if i'll get around to it tonight or not.

Last edited:
i bought 5.5 and a 6.5 both run real strong, but im having problems upgrading the 6.5 i added a header and it really woke it up now i want a bigger carb but no one knows what will fit and run right any help out there?