Picked up this Rupp today

Picked up this Rupp today because I wanted to rebuild a bike with suspension. Anyone know how I can find the year. I know it's missing the jack shaft but should it have a rear drum brake. This bike was originally lt blue under the red.assuming the motors not orignal and i know the seats not either or the extra front pegs. 20160409_094416.jpg

Last edited:

markus

It is a 1968 c350/c500 Disc brake was what they used they didn't utilize the Jackshaft on those, but of course you could. The 500 had a 72t sprocket so it may have been that.

this shows a 60t, but I honestly dont know if that was the original for the c350 or not

ohh boy seen pics of the other side of a c-500 bike that 5hp engine sticks out the side of the bike like 5 feet. iv got another 3.5 non side popper and a 6 horse tecumseh to put on it but i dont know which i want to run.

markus

ohh boy seen pics of the other side of a c-500 bike that 5hp engine sticks out the side of the bike like 5 feet. iv got another 3.5 non side popper and a 6 horse tecumseh to put on it but i dont know which i want to run.
Yea I never liked the big block engine in those frames, I was all excited when i bought 1969 goat with the 5hp and 2 speed a few years ago thinking how goo goo people go for them it must be a killer bike to ride...it was a let down for me personally. I dont know why they didn't utilize the HS40 engines when they came online for 1968, all I can figure out is an exhaust issue and them not wanting to reconfigure what they already had, or Rupp was not sold on them yet far as holding up. would have been a great combo though for the bike, it fit the frame, like 15 lbs lighter etc..

Also note the foot operated brake, The C500 was introduced after the 1968 lineup was in motion and it came with the foot brake pedal, I think that was done out of necessity to get the bike to stop, single lackluster disc heavy ass engine spinning a huge flywheel. Needed that solid linkage over a stretching cable to get it to actually stop!! It became an option for all the other 1968 models after that and you see them off and on. I am a bit concerned about that as I am attempting to use a 1968 Rupp disc on a custom built bike with a 2 stroke engine modded to produce a solid 7hp using a cable/lever setup :facepalm:

think im gonna rebuild a different 3.5 i have for it when i totally restore the bike. The bikes just too damn small for the big block.. i got it going today and drove it around after making a minibike friendly throttle for it and putting a new carb on it and cleaning the points.
tubes held air, rear tires a slick (well worn) and the fronts so cracked i thought the tube was going to come through. engine on it smokes like crazy there was a trail behind me going down the street. now to start collecting all the missing factory parts.