pillow blocks......

just got a pair. unpacked them to find one of the bearings in the block was crooked.....like the bearing was a 1/4" to the left or right at the top and bottom.
the other was straight and doesnt move. This one the bearing is flopping all over the place. Are the bearings in the blocks supposed to move or not? are they "slef aligning" like bearings used in hangers? Im not sure whats right and wrong but if its not supposed to move I need to send it back asap.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Self aligning pillow blocks are supposed to move in the housing, but I'll agree, some are more "snug" than others. show me a pic of your pillow block.

I was hoping this would be about pillows. My roommate thinks having one pillow for himself is fine while I've got 8 on my bed right now and he calls me gay because of it. Sleepy time in my bed is rad and pillows are hahahahaing awesome. It's late and I'm going to my too many pillow and multiple comforter land now.

Women are right about one thing, pillows and comforters are awesome.

just tap it where ya need it. mostly the bearing is probably seated properly, the sleeve is made to swivel and will look "off" when tilted. without seeing it, I'd guess its ok and needs some tapping in alignment

I was hoping this would be about pillows. My roommate thinks having one pillow for himself is fine while I've got 8 on my bed right now and he calls me gay because of it. Sleepy time in my bed is rad and pillows are hahahahaing awesome. It's late and I'm going to my too many pillow and multiple comforter land now.

Women are right about one thing, pillows and comforters are awesome.
X2. :hammer: Your roommate is wrong.

Self aligning pillow blocks are supposed to move in the housing, but I'll agree, some are more "snug" than others. show me a pic of your pillow block.
Had the same thing on my warrior jackshaft, one was more snug than the other, but they lined up just fine and didn't have any issue after they were bolted to the frame.

Oh it gets better, Robyn has one of those sleep number beds and big giant overstuffed down pillows. It's like laying on a floating cloud in heaven. :smile:

bigrob.......yes they both have locking colars with two set screws. Im using locking colars on top of those aswell so once its all bolted down I think it should be alright. I just assumed since Ive never used blocks that the bearings would be seated in place and not move.

Oldsalt

Tek-nickle-lee. with regard to your bearings, it is suppose to be a no-no that BOTH bearings be locked to the shaft by the collars be they eccentric type [Fafner] or double set type [Dodge ] 'spherical housing' bearings [which is what you have and are the ones to use IMHO]. The reason is that the shaft can get shorter or longer because of differences in temperature or 'mounting structure' flex [read minibike frame]. The issue according to manufactures is that the balls could be forced against the races and be loaded in a direction that they were not designed for. Not a big deal but I would lock only one collar to allow the shaft to 'float' through the bore of the other bearing.

Last edited: