Plasma Cutter

Well I got the itch to buy a new Plasma Cutter. I bought a used very small Esab Handy 125 off Craigslist but it was just too light weight for what I need so I resold it .
I have looked now for a bigger machine. have any of you used the Thermal Dynamics machines ? I priced out the Cut Master 39 @ Airgas for $1011.00 :doah: but that machine will work with both 120 Volts and 230 Volts.
It will cut a max of 1/2 inch but is designed to have best performance @ 1/4 inch. Taking the machine out of the shop and using 120 Volts and my Pancake compressor makes me want to stay at this level . This machine has a 4 year power control warranty and a 1 year parts and labor.
Any welders out there with plasma experience I would like your iput.
Steve :scooter:

I have a miller Spectrum 375. It is also rated to cut 1/2" at a smooth cut and will plow through 5/8" in a pinch ( not very pretty ). It is also dual voltage but it requires 28 amps to run 115 volts. Not many circuits can supply that much amperage, so I run mine on 230v. Another consideration is air supply. I tried to run on a pancake compressor and it couldn't keep up. I had to go to a larger compressor to get the required 4.5CFM at 60 PSI. Just a few things to think about.

Smallbore

Plasma......

Hi Steve, I bought a Hypertherm 600 about 5-6 years ago and it has been a 100% trouble free machine. In my metal fabrication shop i have all Miller machines. A 120 amp Mig, a 210 amp Mig with spool gun option, and a Snycrowave 200 Tig welder. Miller, Lincoln, or ESAB, i guess it`s just personal preference. Just like Ford or Chevy... They all do the same thing. So why did i buy a Hypertherm instead of Miller ? Well...... I talked to 5 different Metal Shop owners that have Plasma. Not some salesman trying to sell me his product line. 2 of the guys said they had Thermal Dynamics units and after going into the repair shop a few times the got rid of them and went with Hypertherm. They did admit the companies larger 200+ amp water-cooled machines where excellent, but the smaller one`s were not as good. They also said the Hypertherm was the most reliable and cost effective machine there is. If you compare the cost of consumables, you will find this true.Years ago when they were building the Los Angeles County Twin Towers Jail i was there building the frames on the guard towers, and all i saw was Hypertherm. Regardless of what you buy, you should consider a unit that is a little bigger than you think you need. That way it will run easier, rather than full capacity. My model 600 is rated at 40 amps and will cut 1/2" plate all day long and sever up to 7/8". Don't buy into the 120/220 volt business... Sure inverter technology can self adjust to in coming line voltage, but the most you will get on a plasma with 120 volts is 12-14 amps... i.e. 3/16" cutting capacity. If you plan on cutting 1/4" engine plates etc... you will need a 220volt machine PERIOD !! Here`s a tip for you i figured out years ago.... When cutting slots (like in engine plates) or holes, make a wood pattern out of 1/4" plywood, but cut it 3/16"-1/4" Smaller than the actual size you want. Clamp it to your plate and trace around it with your torch. Works like a Champ !! Here`s some Photos of my first project with my new Plasma. I built this BBQ 5-6 years ago. The whole BBQ is made from 1/4" plate.Check out the oval holes on the 1/2" thick firebox door. Wood patterns do work! Anyway.... Have fun with your new plasma !..... Scott

I have a Hypertherm 350 and it is basically the same size machine. It will cut 1/2" but it works great on 1/4". We run it on 220 but I have run it on 110. I just can not turn it way up. I also agree with Richard that a good volume of "CLEAN" air is important for plasma cutting. If your air is too dirty or the pressure fluctuates too much, you will get funky cuts and use a lot more expensive consumables.

WOW : Great responses I just got back from Air Gas and the new machine is in the van LOL. They sell it all Lincoln, Esab, Hypertherm, Miller, and Thermal Dynamics and of course I had my choice My garage shop is fed with power under ground with a 70 amp circuit for all 3 one car garages.
So Power there has its limitations my Equipment is a Lincoln 175 weld Pac wire welder and my Tig is a Miller SD180 Syncrowave. My air compressor is a Champion 3 cylinder 80 gallon 5 HP it is only single stage because I wanted higher volume to keep up with the sand blast work.
I need to improve the air delivery system and install a moisture trap and drip legs on all drops to each garage.
I wanted the dual voltage only because we Trikers are often called to cut up car body's to get the part of say a old VW Bug that we use for building a trike. So the Plasma will do that with ease. I know that 90% of the time it will remain here at home on 240 volts and I still have my gas torch if I need to go thicker on that odd occasion.
Thanks to all the answered and each has real merit.
Steve :scooter: