Possible new aluminum flywheel for GX/GX clone?

Been meaning to post this and so its snowing and have a few minutes.

This is off Kohler XT149cc vertical lawn engine. I didn't have any time to mess with so gave to Tim. Said it fit Honda taper. My hunch that it would fit Hemi Predator because its Kohler. Tim said it did not.

trinik7597

doug was nice enough to give this to me and i was thinking i could use it on one of my hemi's . but the taper was not right . just so happens i also had a gx160 on the bench too fits perfect :thumbsup: and everything lines up

Dover performance/DAperformance sells a billet flywheel for the clone for 65 bucks i have one and its pretty nice mine is gold anodized it does take a shaved timing key you pick witch key you want and it comes with it and he will tell you wicth key you need with your setup

That billet FW from Dover looks good, but it's still 3.5 pounds. I think that's what my ARC weighs, maybe even a little more. I was hoping to get a lot quicker revs out of my billet, but it didn't happen. I wonder how dangerous this Kohler would be? I feel like the real proble with flywheels is how well the magnets are installed, not the steel itself. If a magnet lets go, it's gonna get messy. Is the Kohler safe at 3600rpms? Up to 6000? Higher? Less than 2lbs is light. I'd love to hear the motor rev with it. I think a stock flywheel is about 5 or 6 lbs.

trinik7597

hey david i just got an arc ultra light for my predator it weighs in at 1.75 pounds i can do like a side by side comparison for you :thumbsup:

That billet FW from Dover looks good, but it's still 3.5 pounds. I think that's what my ARC weighs, maybe even a little more. I was hoping to get a lot quicker revs out of my billet, but it didn't happen. I wonder how dangerous this Kohler would be? I feel like the real proble with flywheels is how well the magnets are installed, not the steel itself. If a magnet lets go, it's gonna get messy.
Dumb question - if the magnets let go the engine stops at once right? Obviously the magnets fling off until they find flesh and bone to stop them...

Wax

yeah I have one of those and had figured that out. I was wondering about the fact it has three magnets in it and not one.
I have not tried it yet but I plan on it. Have you had it on and running yet

Dumb question - if the magnets let go the engine stops at once right? Obviously the magnets fling off until they find flesh and bone to stop them...
I don't think it's a dumb question. I wonder if they're any better quality than the cast steel flywheels that come on the clones. I realize they're not billet, but are they better quality than a clone flywheel?

The magnets flying off wasn't a question. I think we're in total agreement. When I said, "It's gonna get messy," I was referring to "finding flesh and bone" part. I just stated it differently. Obviously the motor can't fire without magnet, but at that point, the rider isn't thinking about finding the kill switch. They're too busy bleeding and screaming. I am, however, still curious about the rpms. If someone wanted quick revs on a motor with a gov, this might be the way to go? $30 is pretty cheap. If anyone has info on what these flywheels can handle, I'd love to hear about it. Might as well discuss it here. It might even keep someone from getting hurt?

hey david i just got an arc ultra light for my predator it weighs in at 1.75 pounds i can do like a side by side comparison for you :thumbsup:
That would be awesome! My buddy used to race sprint cars, and I was always in love with how quickly that motor revved. I saw a video of a racing lawn tractor once, and they were running a ridiculously light flywheel. It was awesome. Post up a video of it!

i actually think it is a good question :thumbsup: and something i did not even think about . i took a look at it today and i dont think it would be an issue but i will not be able to speak for that till i have it on something running :thumbsup:

the magnets are separated because it would be to much mass and probably would come out. It tricks the coil into thinking its one big magnet. Dover sells Billet wheel for how much? Not cast? BTW before there was billet people ran the GXV.

Wax

the magnets are separated because it would be to much mass and probably would come out. It tricks the coil into thinking its one big magnet. Dover sells Billet wheel for how much? Not cast? BTW before there was billet people ran the GXV.
Ok that makes sense. thats one less thing to worry about.
Have you had it running on your engine yet, Im keen as to try it myself