Powder coating vs. Spray paint?

Hi guys,

I am finishing up my DB and I don't know what to do about the paint.

It seems like you all powdercoat your frames. Is that an expensive process? I am working on a very limited budget. Is spraypainting acceptable, or should I save and powdercoat?

What are the advantages?

Thanks,

Jared

:helpsmilie:

Powder is nice, but the place that does mine is really draggin' ass getting my stuff done lately.

If the budget is an issue, prime it and spray away.

mardyn

i've seen quotes from $60 (guy my roommate knows) to $250 (Maas Bros. in Hayward) around here to strip and powder coat a frame.

i just spray paint mine because they always get hahahahaed up pretty quick. i'd rather drop $20-$25 in paint and just redo it when it starts looking really bad.

I used to work at a powder coating place for 10 yrs. My wife still does. thats how we met ( I hate that place..lol) Anyhow..I was a coater for about 6 yrs. I can tell you that powder coating itself isn't really that great for keeping rust away from your substrate and it's hard to touch up if you get a chip, also most powders used have a low U.V rating,hence it fades easily..however, the pre-treatment process BEFORE the powder coating process is the cats meow! The process starts with a CLEANING LINE, all it was a series of tanks with various cleaning and rust inhibiting chemicals that the product would get dipped in prior to being e-coated ( primered by a baked on,electrostaticly charged, liquid bath, aka E-coat) and the e-coat line itself has several rust inhibiting and cleaning chemicals as well. After being cleaned and e-coated then the product would then be powder coated. I just redone a trail bronc, all i done was had it sandblasted, e-coated and I painted it myself.. I would skip the powder coating....Make sure IF you get it e-coated that you scuff the surface lightly BEFORE you apply your paint. Most paint will have a hard time to sticking to e-coat if you don't scuff it up slightly. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

I powder coated a few motorcycles, mini bikes, go karts, bicycles.. pretty much U name it I have coated it. I even coated a whole frame for a 69' chevelle..I found out for myself the HARD way.. if your gonna wreck it, chip it, ding it...and then repair it... ya better paint it, rather than powder coat it.

i use duplicolor spray paint you get at auto parts stores. Its like 7 $ a can but you only need 1 can to do a bike. that and primer. if your down to bare metal get self etching primer duplicolor also makes. It holds up better than cheaper paint like rustoleum or whatever and lays on nicer

I powder coated a few motorcycles, mini bikes, go karts, bicycles.. pretty much U name it I have coated it. I even coated a whole frame for a 69' chevelle..I found out for myself the HARD way.. if your gonna wreck it, chip it, ding it...and then repair it... ya better paint it, rather than powder coat it.
yea, thats what I learned. The 4x4 fab shop I worked at had suspension links, beadlock wheel rings, and rollcages powdercoated!:eek:ut: One trip out and I could ruin the looks of a nice rig.:wink: My personal rigs were always rattlecanned for easy touch-up...but I eventually even gave up on that.:smile:
If it sees any real use/abuse, paint it.

well, and its a minibike. its going to be put in the back of the truck with other minibikes, and we are all gunna eat it a few times atleast. its GOING to get chipped and scratched eventually... so, im definately leaning on the spray paint side.

I have been using krylon paint from walmart, hope its okay to use atleast. the quality of the paint seems okay to me, and its onyl 3.50 a can! :thumbsup:

They been charging me $40.00 to do a frame/forks, & swing arm... but lately, they've been really busy with their commercial stuff and my stuff (along with other small jobs) get pushed to the back burner.

I hope my stuff is not rusting up sitting around waiting for them to get to it.

It looks good when I finally get 'em home though.

My 40 y/o Fox Sprite I got off ebay for $28.00

mardyn

I'm sure people have different preferences, but in my opinion, PC is WAYYY better than paint. Depending on color, you can get most mini-bikes frames coated for $75-$125.

It's a much more durable way to do things. I've painted and had many mini bikes painted, although they do look good, they just dont hold up as well. If you go to the right place, PC can look even better than paint sometimes. For my money, it's PC all the way. As for repairing chips, yes, it's very tough!

My frame has some dings and still needs a few tubes massaged a bit. Plan to shoot it in epoxy first....little bondo to make those imperfections go away, then spray with implement / tractor paint from the local farm supply store. It's tuff stuff :grind:

I agonized over PC versus rattle can. After reading this thread I'm glad I rattle canned. The Tote Gote is getting beat up on rough trails. Easy to touch up, no worries as long as I keep the Rust Oleum paint handy.
Message - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery

As far as sprockets and wheels and the engine, I used a self-priming gloss black, hasn't been long but seems to be holding up well. It's all in the preparation. My biggest issue is trying to keep paint around the gascap, that’s where PC shines best.

Last edited:
My biggest issue is trying to keep paint around the gascap, that’s where PC shines best.
Yup i havnt been able to solve that mystery yet. Iv even tried a heavy coat of pro quality raddle can jam-in clear with lots of wax and still no dice. Although it does help alot the gas still slowly erodes the paint away

They been charging me $40.00 to do a frame/forks, & swing arm... but lately, they've been really busy with their commercial stuff and my stuff (along with other small jobs) get pushed to the back burner.

I hope my stuff is not rusting up sitting around waiting for them to get to it.

It looks good when I finally get 'em home though.

My 40 y/o Fox Sprite I got off ebay for $28.00

mardyn
I have 2 Fox Sprites and neither of them have that jackshaft mount..or the other bracket....and mine also have a scrub brake... i dont know why Fox made sprites in so many different ways....