Power Q's

Tested out some real world scenarios and Im stuck in deciding my next move ..

Off Road - Great torque and fun to ride. Never reached top speed nor don't plan to.

On Flat Ground - Torque is to much on take off and top speed lacks IMO. If you punch it, it will flip you off and do a back flip. But getting up to top speed seems like it lacks power through 30-45mph.

At this point it seems im stuck in figuring out if higher rpms are needed or if I need to switch up rear sprocket and try to gain more lower end power ...

Specs:
Tav2
18lb Springs
air filter
1" exhaust
Emulsion 140 and Jetted #34
8 Degree Timing Key
Racing Plug

IMHO. in your case its not about gaining power or losing power (Although i think i know what u r saying). Its you gear ratio. How the power is used. Sounds like you have too low (higher number) a gear ratio. Say you are at 7.0:1. You should try say a 4.0: 1 and that will give u a better ratio for not flipping over backward on take off and allow your motor to run without running out if gear too fast. So should be able to increase rpm also but it wont make ur actual hp and torque change. But it also be "harder" say going up a hill. It depends on how well ur motor performs. What is ur current gear ratio? I hope im making sense. Little tired. Which tyoe of riding do you do the most. Sounds like its perfect for you, offroad. But you would like it to be a litle better on flat? Knowing where you ratio is and then changing it appropriately, seems like it would fix you "issue"

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to add those specs..

Wheel size = 19
Front sprocket = 10 teeth
Rear sprocket = 50 teeth

Maybe a 42 tooth ??
so you are at 5.0:1 ratio (or am i looking at it wrong)

a 42 tooth rear would put you at 4.2:1 ?

you would def feel that less on take off... hopefully someone else will chime in with opinions.. but i think that it a start... whichever gear is easier to change to achieve a higher gear ratio (numerically lower number)... i like to make small changes at a time till its right where i want it.. but you would end up with many different gears in the end... going from the 50 to the 42 may work for you though, or let you know which to try next, until its right for you...

i think is the title of this thread were GEAR RATIO help, or something to that effect more people would give advice, power q's makes it seem like your asking engine performance related questions...

I have a similar set up on my new style db, but I'm running the stock rear sprocket. It will definitely throw me if I'm not careful, and it doesn't hit a very high top speed. However, it is fine for off reading in the woods. I suggest figuring out where you will do most of your riding, and then use a speed calculator to find a gear ratio that works for you.

What bike do you have? MB 200 or MB 165?

Motra

With the torque converter you're at 13.4:1 low range gearing and 4.5:1 in high range. It's putting about 160 lbs. of thrust to the ground and has about 47 MPH top speed. If you gear lower you'll have even more jump out from under you power and less top speed. If you gear higher you'll have less take off power and more top speed, but if it already lacks power at higher speeds that will be exaggerated with higher gearing.

With the torque converter you're at 13.4:1 low range gearing and 4.5:1 in high range. It's putting about 160 lbs. of thrust to the ground and has about 47 MPH top speed. If you gear lower you'll have even more jump out from under you power and less top speed. If you gear higher you'll have less take off power and more top speed, but if it already lacks power at higher speeds that will be exaggerated with higher gearing.
i didnt even pay attention to the TAV2 part... lol... yeh good info here, was offering my opinion on typical clutch/sprocket gearing

Im all the way down to a 36 tooth sprocket and it still tries to throw me off im a little more modded out mainly a high performance head and flywhee and alot more timingl