----preadator non hemi connecting rod------

What site has the cheapest connecting rods for 212cc?
And does it matter how long the rod is? And whats the effects off a longer rod and will i have to do any machining?

CarPlayLB

see my response in your other post. Fast ain't cheap, cheap ain't fast!

Was your piston in the hole at TDC? It does matter how long the rod is. Too long you come outta the hole. Too short you lose compression. Machining. Yes,. and no.

Correct. The billet rod is $87. ARC6254 stock length 3.308". As Carplay said, pull the head and see how far the piston is below deck. I do not run mine at zero deck. I like to leave it .005" below. So, if you have a piston that .025" below deck at TDC, you can order the .020 longer rod. This will help increase compression and improve flame travel. The trick to the non hemi in my opinion is to get the hemi flat top piston and correct rod length.

"Most" non Hemi motors are .040-.050 in the hole... That is why they sell the .040 longer Rod. Put a Hemi flat top in which has a .020 shorter comp. height and that puts it .020-.030 in the hole... Put a thin .009 gasket on and things are good...
NR racing sells a flat top with the same comp. height as the dished piston... That will leave you either flush or .010 in the hole... Put a thick .040-.045 gasket on and you are good to go...

The .020 Rod is mostly for the Hemi predator because "most" Hemi are .030-.020 in the hole...

I like the .040 Rod in the Hemi if it is .030 in the hole leaves ya with .010 pop up... Use a .045 gasket and life is good...

Many ways to have fun and build them...

One that I like to run... is a Non hemi block , with a Honda crank, Hemi flat top a Honda 3.403 Rod leaves it .010 pop up and a .045 gasket, Isky .310 cam, 1.3 rocker intake 1.2 rocker exhaust, 14cc head with a 28.5mm intake valve and a 25mm exhaust valve, 348 Tilly on meth... Hauls the mail... But the block is well braced and checked often for cracks...

CarPlayLB

Hey Prowler,
Why don't you tell the OP what kind of money is involved in building the motor you described? ...and great info! Thank you!

I do all the work myself... So I am not sure of the cost if one does not do it them selves... The rockers, and the carb was the 2 most expensive items...
I will say at a minimum to get a nice running engine like I described $700 +

Last edited:
I put a arc 6252 rod in mine with a hemi flat top piston, black mamba cam, ss valves and retainers, 18lb. springs, .009" head gasket ,milled head .050" , rebored carb. to .630" and rejetted (trial and error) Worked real well.

"Most" non Hemi motors are .040-.050 in the hole... That is why they sell the .040 longer Rod. Put a Hemi flat top in which has a .020 shorter comp. height and that puts it .020-.030 in the hole... Put a thin .009 gasket on and things are good...
NR racing sells a flat top with the same comp. height as the dished piston... That will leave you either flush or .010 in the hole... Put a thick .040-.045 gasket on and you are good to go...

The .020 Rod is mostly for the Hemi predator because "most" Hemi are .030-.020 in the hole...

I like the .040 Rod in the Hemi if it is .030 in the hole leaves ya with .010 pop up... Use a .045 gasket and life is good...

Many ways to have fun and build them...

One that I like to run... is a Non hemi block , with a Honda crank, Hemi flat top a Honda 3.403 Rod leaves it .010 pop up and a .045 gasket, Isky .310 cam, 1.3 rocker intake 1.2 rocker exhaust, 14cc head with a 28.5mm intake valve and a 25mm exhaust valve, 348 Tilly on meth... Hauls the mail... But the block is well braced and checked often for cracks...
Damn! You are dead on the money! I am starting the build on my first mini bike and this is the first time that I am messing with one of these little 4 stroke ohv engines.

Well I just cracked open my brand new Hemi Predator and like you said.... The piston is a little over 30 thou in the hole.... Actually my piston is .032 below the deck To be exact.

Yup, with that one use a .040 rod and a .040-.045 gasket and you will be running as close,as you would want to for piston to head clearance...