Predator build up details

I am doing a Predator build. I have been wanting to do this for a while, so here I go. I am starting with an out of the box non-hemi style engine. I have dynoed it straight out of the box, I just manually work the throttle to bypass the governor. It shows 7.24 peak at 3700rpm. If there is an interest, I will post all my results as I go along. this will be a 20hp engine when I am done. So, please let me know who is interested in the build.

So far:
Stock.. 7.24hp.....3700rpm
tape blower housing up 7.41hp.....3850rpm
Header (.880, no muffler) 8.85hp.....4200rpm
air filter adapter
with .022, .036 jetting 9.39hp.....4150rpm
Advance timing (.080 cut key)
and cut every other fin off the fan 10hp.....4450rpm

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I'd do it in order of.

Common bolt ons.

Then go inside and do things. I'm amazed at how much a header, timing, intake and rejet did.

I wish you would of done the cutting the fins off the fly wheel first. Just to see if it does do anything.

I'd do it in order of.

Common bolt ons.

Then go inside and do things. I'm amazed at how much a header, timing, intake and rejet did.

I wish you would of done the cutting the fins off the fly wheel first. Just to see if it does do anything.
I just didn't have time to do the fan by itself, I am actually waiting on parts for my "real" job, that's how I got to do what I have done..LOL. I have the HP and Torque graphs posted on Facebook, in Kart tech. The peak doesn't really tell the whole story, the difference at 5000rpm is closer to 4hp.

Update, reran the engine this morning. Showed the same numbers as yesterday
(within .04 of a HP) Installed a Huayi, .610 venture carb and got it jetted right, made 10.41 -4400rpm. Fixed another Huayi (same size), showed 10.41-4600rpm. The graphs pretty much copy each other. Installed and jetted carb from a new Hemi predator, showed 10.33-4350rpm (less than .1hp from the others, graph looks basically the same as the others as well. Then, installed a S/A carb. I bought this carb in stock form somewhere on the internet last year. I bored it pretty big (I think it has some epoxy in the top) 11.03-4750rpm. I am done with the dynoing, until I build it.