project build with rear springs

delray

modified the headlight cup by cutting off the old style ring lock socket. so i could install a new style bulb socket.

and to just make sure the new socket stays in place. i use a two part epoxy around it(jb weld):weld: now i
can use a led cluster bulb

I was just in my garage looking at my Baja Heat thinking about your build and I have a suggestion for you. You may want to put another cross brace under the seat closer to the upper shock mount. I have had problems with the weakness of the metal used in these frames and I would worry about stress on the frame bowing that area outward. I could be wrong and it could be plenty stiff but it looks like the closest brace is 3-4 inches away and that if anywhere was going to be a weak point it would be there. Regardless awesome build.

delray

i welded a extra gusset on top of the shock mount area. that should be good:weld::thumbsup: where are you having problem with your bike? maybe a picture of yours would be get:thumbsup:

delray

ok i see, kind of thought you where doing the Evel Knievel thing on your bike. so you really didn't have a problem in that area? just in general with some of the factory welds from Evel Knievel the bike so much..:scooter::hammer:
i have seen some of these bikes in the pass with poor welds. that would be the early type models. some of them look like they welded them with a torch and coat hanger:doah:
now for the pipe it self looks to be thick and strong. probable recycle metal that china purchase from the USA.......ha..ha...:smile:

It being the re manufactured steel is where I would place my bet. The shitty welding is something they should control better, but its China, they are busy making everything so they don't check products for quality. If I wasn't such a large man, and I didn't take the bike off jumps it would still be mint and new looking haha.

I mentioned the seat area for you just because, as I am sure you know, it is going to be put under a lot of stress in a way it wasn't designed to. That is the only reason I mentioned it. Would be a shame that you did such great work and the frame bowed out or broke.

delray

yes i here you:thumbsup:
thats why i welded couple gussets in the shock area. nothing worst then having couple shocks up my A HOLE..HA..HA..:doah::scooter:
also did you notes that the front rubber mounts under my seat did not rest on anything and i had to build a plate mount for the front rubber mounts to sit on:doah:
you will have to go back couple pages or so to look at it:doah:

SOMETHING WONG:chinese:

delray

most of the replacement shocks are very stiff. on my bike the shocks measure about 11inch from eye to eye and travel about 1or so with me pushing down on it real hard.
super bronc springs on the shocks are much shorter and feel little softer.
someone you may want to pm about more info on where to get a pair of correct shocks would be....scottneidert. he is real good on super bronc info:thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply.

If you have found that a certain category of shocks seems softer, let me know. I am thinking original moped shocks might be my best bet because they are such a lightweight bike. The original shocks on my 1979 Honda z50r are adequately soft.

Another thing I have been looking for is a good source for replacement bushings for the shock eyes.

Here is a link to what looks like the shocks in your build:

280 mm Grey & Chrome Shock Moped mini bike chopper:eBay Motors (item 190309703902 end time May-26-09 07:53:46 PDT)

delray

yep:thumbsup: those are it:smile:.
if you are looking for softer shocks? also maybe look for atv shocks?
goodluck.................:scooter:

just a sample of some of the problems I have had with my frame.

This is where the kick stand used to be! 1 rock did this. Ripped the welds and all right off. I never found the kick stand.

Both sides the peg welds broke off the frame and on the right side a chunk of frame came with the peg. Made this up with some scrap angle iron I had laying around in about 30 minutes. I just didn't want to stop riding long enough to build something well thought out.

delray

man, you really did beat the crap out off it:doah:where are you riding it. from looks of all the mud on the bike you must be driving it through hell. thats not a motorcross bike? it's a minibike. but who cares? your having fun with it:thumbsup:
my nephew will be riding it on dirt farm trails and black top and gravel roads.
nothing over big rocks or tree stumps or jumping it? i hope not:doah:

delray

one more thing i had to do today before i start to take it all apart to repaint the bike and thats was to build a header pipe:hack::weld:

started with a header flange by using a over size washer that was about 1/8+ thick with a 1inch #dem hole.

i wanted to baffle noise level down little with the straight pipe set up by using some flat washers. first thing i had to do was cut a slot into them and then bend them apart. i use a 3/8 bolt for my jeg to weld my washers together.

after welding washers together i place them inside the pipe with couple pre-drilled holes in the pipe so i could weld the baffle unit in place.
after i finish the exhaust i will go back and grind the weld marks off:grind:

(finish mock-up exhaust). i added a hanger just below the seat couple inch's or so and also made a turn out tail pipe on the end of the exhaust:thumbsup:
i will finish the pipe with a gray hi temp header pipe paint that will not discolor on me...........:scooter:

delray

i went with a 36 leds bulb for my headlight and it is very bright. leds draw very little power and should be able to run for hours and hours before recharging the battery

You did an AMAZING job on this bike. It motivates me to do some custom work. The exhaust you made is sooo clever. I never considered making my own baffle for the exhaust. Very neat way to do so.