Project Tecumseh - Restoring mini bike with 3.5 hp

puma

I cannot remember exactly the last time I ran this mini bike but it is definitely more than twenty three years since this Tecumseh engine was started.

This is the H35 3 1/2 horsepower that a lot of people will recognize because I see many bikes with them.

Basically I did not know what to expect and quite frankly I did not think I would get it started that easily but I got a good shock from the spark plug after pulling the starter cord so I decided to proceed with the restore.
So here is what I did to get a mini bike that has been sitting idle for over 20 years (in dry conditions of course) started:
1. Oil change
2. Four new wheel bearings.

3. Carb kit install. Part #31840 - Used a ton of carb cleaner and toothbrush to get rid of all the rust and gunk. This carb kit had everything needed for a professional rebuild except an extra o ring that fortunately I was able to get at a hardware store.

4. Air Filter Part #30727

After pulling the engine off the bike and re-installing the carb it fired right up with almost no difficulty. I drained out the new oil that had immediately turned black after running the engine for only a few minutes then I put in fresh new oil a second time. I reinstalled the engine and replaced the throttle cable which was completely frayed. To do the replacement I picked up a bicycle cable replacement set for 5 dollars and used a dremel to shave down the anchor portion of the cable to fit in the throttle hole.

Here are some observations:
Tires were like new. They have held up remarkably well. I was expecting to see some cracks but after over 30 years there were none.
Although this Tecumseh says it is only 3.5 hp I believe it to be much faster and would estimate it to be at least 5 hp. I'm surprised at the speed I am getting out of it.
If anyone can tell me what make this mini bike is it would be a tremendous help. I am trying to find the original factory paint for it which I believe was green.
Also If you want to see an excellent video on the carb rebuild you can see it here:
Carburetor Clean & Rebuild on 3.5 HP Tecumseh Engine Part 1 of 2 - YouTube
Carburetor Clean & Rebuild on 3.5 HP Tecumseh Engine Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

125ccCrazy

thats a trail horse, if you can wipe off the paint on the fork plate it may still have the sticker with trail horse on it... Those bikes came in a few different colors....