Pull the trigger or no?

A local dollar store has 2 Coleman ct200exr minibikes for 300.00 each. They are the red version of the camo/beige bike. I been watching the bt200x Walmart prices waiting for a price drop and am Definetely gonna grab a BT when they go on sale. Decisions decisions..."......

PatrickCraik

Better off paying more for an oldie in nice shape. The old flatheads run nice and if nothing else,you can always sell for at least the same price as purchased. The china stuff is throwaway

I think if you just want one to ride and beat on that is a good option. Looks like they are $550 new? I wouldn't ride that one the same way I would an older classic. Seems like a good deal if you have the $$.

Their very popular out here and the 300 dollar price is a bargain. There are a lot of goodies for sale for these bikes as well and a good following by owners on the WWW.

Think I will go and get it tomorrow morning. Seems like a good deal, but not what we truly want. I know the China stuff is throwaway, but where I am not much else to be had. Unless I want a true basket case broken frame rusted to the core oldie. It would be for my son anyway. He currently has a db30r 212 predator that he absolutely loves. It tops out at 54mph and none of the other kids bikes or carts can keep up with him. But, he is almost 13 and just about 6' tall and he is a little too big for it and with the small tires, it makes the sprocket about 2" from the ground and he likes going "off" road with it. Like I said, we have been watching the larger frame bt200x and just waiting for the sale and will be putting a mild 301 on it or a 212r tillotson. Believe me, I would love to grab up an old Montgomery ward or Sears mini that I had over 35 years ago for myself. Just none around by me and I am not looking to drive hundreds of miles for one.

DaddyJohn

Better off paying more for an oldie in nice shape. The old flatheads run nice and if nothing else,you can always sell for at least the same price as purchased. The china stuff is throwaway
I disagree from a practical stand-point... The vintage stuff is overpriced if all you want is a mini bike to bop around on (plus you can't just grab it at the store). If you want to pay more for the sake of investment (better keep it as nice as you found it), or to explore your nostalgia, that's different, but that money won't equate with function. Additionally, I'd say the Chinese minis are every bit as long lasting with proper care, and the Honda GX clone engine found in that Coleman will be beyond reliable. Calling it throwaway is just silly. Not bashing vintage here, or those who own them (I own some myself), but no need to have a closed mind about it.

That said, those Coleman bikes are priced at least $250 less than you'd typically find them for. I think the BT version is cooler looking, and looks to have a more upright seating position, but if you wanted, you could likely sell the CT later for near your purchase price if kept in nice shape.

PatrickCraik

Overpriced? I dont mind paying more for better stuff and certainly the old stuff is better than new. I probably wont be around 40 years from now to know but I'm guessing the current stuff from china will all be in the scrap yard by then. I see bicycles in the trash every week in the spring/summer. JUNK. This web site is about minis that have been around 40-60 years,not bad. I know lots of them use the china engines and understand why,they're cheap and easy to get. Good flatheads not so easy these days,thats why some of us hold onto a bunch of them. I've seen 3 china bikes last less than a week without something going sour,doesnt fill me with confidence,not to mention, they're all pretty ugly. I also see lots of them for sale with less than a couple years use and they always have something wrong with them. I remember a local hardware store closing its doors and selling their last 3 Manco Streakers @ a decent discount,I didnt like the style @ the time but now wish I have bought all of them. Theyre beautiful little American Made minis as compared to the goofy stuff @ wally world or tractor supply. I just thought I'd give a new guy to the hobby some good advise about OLD MINIBIKES...My 2 cents

Last edited:

Brooklyn Bob

I have both American made and Chinese made frames, and motors. Love them both. I run the hell out of those Harbor Freight Predator motors and they are well worth the money. I have the Lifan motors on a few Honda CT70's also great motors. I always tell people just get a minibike and have some fun. Who cares what brand it is. Does that child with a smile on their face riding in the back field really care if it's American or Chinese?

I've got over 1,500 miles on my CHI COM mini and drive the heck out of it off road. It see's very little pavememt and no parts or welds have ever broken on it. I cannot say that about my American made bikes.