PVL flywheel vs ARC flywheel

BWL

What's the difference between these flywheels, and which is better? I've only ever use ARC flywheels, but have been wondering about this one.

Last edited:

trinik7597

The pvl is cast and the arc is billet .. the only issue I have heard of with fins breaking is during removal . The slip stream from EC is a rebranded raceseng with a 28° advance built in vs. the 32° of arc or the 34° of ambush

There is a vice grip type tool a lot of people use to hold the flywheel when torquing the nut on. It holds the flywheel by the fins. Works fine on the arc as fins are thick and flywheel is billet. Problems with snapping off fins occurred on the Pvl with that tool. Don't know if current flywheels are any different but you can use a strap wrench to hold flywheel to avoid the problem.

I have one of those EC fly wheels on my mini. It is on my first modded engine and I our race track doesn't allow really high RPMs so I can't comment on those aspects but in terms of build quality I am very impressed.

There is also the GXV 160 flywheel too. At about $40 its another good option. Not as nice as the other 2 as it dose not have a steel hub but its cheep. Timing is 25*.

Daniel Coop

I have the PVL flywheels in 2 clones and my daughter's GX200, with no issues whatsoever. Seem well made and are just as light as the ARC, but value priced in comparison. I would recommend them to anyone with a GX or clone looking for a cheaper alternative. They're tested to 17,000 RPM'S

Last edited:
So a PVL flywheel uses the animal coil, which is better than the predator coil in the sense that the more rpm you spin, the more timing the predator coil pulls. Now at 8k rpm it might not be but 4-6* but it's still enough to notice a power loss. The animal coil locks the timing in and let's it eat.

No that pvl wheel takes a standard coil ..
Do you work at ARC?
"ARC's new light weight Predator Hemi 212cc flywheel for the Briggs PVL ignition. ... Must be used with the Briggs PVL coil, see related products."

What would be the point in running a PVL flywheel and the shit predator coil?

Do you work at ARC?
"ARC's new light weight Predator Hemi 212cc flywheel for the Briggs PVL ignition. ... Must be used with the Briggs PVL coil, see related products."

What would be the point in running a PVL flywheel and the shit predator coil?
Your statement was made under a picture of a pvl flywheel that does not require a pvl coil . You did not specify arc ... Yes the arc pvl flywheels require a Briggs coil and bracket for said coil .. no I do not work for arc !!! But I have enough of their products to fill a store .. as well as raceseng , ambush racing etc.

Your statement was made under a picture of a pvl flywheel that does not require a pvl coil . You did not specify arc ... Yes the arc pvl flywheels require a Briggs coil and bracket for said coil .. no I do not work for arc !!! But I have enough of their products to fill a store .. as well as raceseng , ambush racing etc.
I've been mulling over getting an ambush side cover.

Yea I shouldn't have posted that under THAT specific pic but yea that's a pvl that uses the stock flywheel.

2SlickNick

I just bought a PVL... I intended to put it on my 196cc clone from coleMan... but after seeing this eBay add ...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/PVL-Flywheel...151469?hash=item440684ef6d:g:UWQAAOSwuLZY2YKK

I thought about trying to mount it on a brand new non-Hemi...
From what I'm reading it is only made for clones or genuines...

If you look at his item description kind a looks like he copied pasted and modified.
Maybe I should write him and find out if he knows for first hand if they do fit on non-hemis.