Pwk24 flat slide jetting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all I’m new here and have been scouring the internet for some knowledge on the new carb I bought and why I’m having such huge issues getting it to run. I have a Coleman with the stock 196. Has gov delete, aftermarket valve retainers and clips, decent pipe with muffler on it as well but no actual upgrades. Carb I’m using is a pwk 24 clone. Out of the box I didn’t realize the cable was too short and basically couldn’t get it to idle down or lean out etc. realized that was the issue and almost got it idling nice but had no top end. Messed with it more and now I can’t get it to run at all. Only comes with a few jets. 32 34 and 36 pilot 105 110 and 110 mains. Got it to idle at one point with clip at highest point on the needle but had no wot. I’ve watched countless carb tuning explanations and I get close but no cigar. Hoping someone can help me with a good starting point.

Hello @Rebuild681 ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

I don't know how to resolve your issue, but it's safer now for you, that it won't start.

Here's why...you mention that it is a stock motor, with 'gov delete'.

As it sits, it is a potential time bomb.

With no governor to prevent over revving of the engine it stands to implode/explode on you, when the stock flywheel, and stock connecting rod violently come to pieces.

You need to buy, and install a billet flywheel, and billet connecting rod first...then use your stock carburetor to get the engine running safely.

Once you prove it will run, then install your slide carburetor, and work from there.

Make sure while you have the motor opened up, to remove all of the internal and external governor components.

Then you can ride without risk of explosion.

Keep us posted, and enjoy the site !

Thank you @RobertC for that explanation.
I was going to suggest putting it all back together the way it was when it ran last and making one change at a time. Leave the governor and original carb alone until the engine can safely support a motorcycle carb.

It ran before I swapped carbs. Had a Mikuni clone 22 on it before. Was just hoping to get a little more response and reliability from this carb. Had it running with this carb as well but I suspect it was not on idle circuit which is what I’m having issues finding. I am listening for revs and don’t over clock more than a couple hundred rpm over where the gov would stop it, you can hear where the stock cam runs out of power (which is far before it’s gonna grenade). That’s all I give it. I do appreciate the words of safety. Is there no round about jet size that’s gonna work on this thing? I’m about sea level as well

Status
Not open for further replies.