Quality brake levers and cables

I hate to start a new thread over something that just have been discussed a zillion times here, but after a few search attempts I didn't find what I was looking for. I've got 2 minis that are in need of brake levers and cables. My Trailjet has plastic levers and crappy cables, and the brakes work even worse than when it was new...which is pretty bad.

OldMiniBikes has a set of levers and cables that you can buy as a set. I have no trouble cutting down the 5 foot cables to shorter lengths if I need to, so it's possible they could work. I also don't need them to look factory original. I want Function over Form. I ride mine, not show them (no offense to those that do nice restorations!).

Please recommend me some levers and cables. They are going on a 1972 Trailjet and a 1972 or so Roadster 2. Both are 7/8" handlebar.

Also, I've read a bunch of threads on 1" ID flex pipe for exhaust. Any new source for that? If not, I'll order the stainless stuff from McMaster-Carr. I want to build a nice, quiet muffler for the Rupp and will need it. Here's the stuff I was thinking of getting. https://www.mcmaster.com/#5241k13/=16pqf39

Any help appreciated.

Joe

I cant answer any of your questions... but I am interested. Im curious as to if there is such a thing as made in USA brake levers...

..and the tubing, Im curious how flexible it is. I want to get some for an offroad/rednecked/racing lawnmower. :laugh:

Bicycle handlebars are 7/8. You can find a pretty good set new for cheap. Even cheaper if you don't mind used and go look through the scrap bike pile at a scrapyard. Bike cables also work pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! It never dawned on me that bicycle stuff is the same. I've got a set of levers from a mountain bike that are nice. I ordered a set of Shimano cables that I can cut to length. Thanks for pointing me to Old School Minibikes. Another parts source is always a good thing!

Joe