Question about 3hp flathead governor plate

I had a question. I am getting a 3hp flathead fixed up to go onto a taco 22. I replaced the points coil with a magneto. The hinge plate that is supposedly (a governor device") was hooked into the old coil to keep it in place but the new coil doesn't have the pegs to hook it onto. Can I just rig up a throttle directly to the carb and call it good or is this plate important? ANd does the 3hp briggs actually have a governor plastic gear in the crank case, or does that plate just act as a governor? the pic I posted shows the plate that im talking about on the right.

Attachments

That governor fan plate in there is blown back by the flywheel RPM speed and the air generated like a fan blowing on it. No plastic governor gear in the engine on a 3 horse Briggs. I've found that I can just attach the throttle directly to the carb and watch my RPMs or gear the bike so that it won't over rev at top end speeds.. with a standard 60 tooth sprocket on the back of a 22 running a 12 tooth centrifugal clutch you should have a top speed of about 30mph. You'll get a feel for RPM limit once you ride for a while. Be careful at first..Mark

That governor fan plate in there is blown back by the flywheel RPM speed and the air generated like a fan blowing on it. No plastic governor gear in the engine on a 3 horse Briggs. I've found that I can just attach the throttle directly to the carb and watch my RPMs or gear the bike so that it won't over rev at top end speeds.. with a standard 60 tooth sprocket on the back of a 22 running a 12 tooth centrifugal clutch you should have a top speed of about 30mph. You'll get a feel for RPM limit once you ride for a while. Be careful at first..Mark
This is all I needed to know, Thank you so much for your help and time!
-Drenchedgremlin

As long as you are not removing that plate so that you can exceed the RPM limit of your engine then you should be fine. If you're wanting to make it go faster I certainly don't recommend removing the governor as an answer. Removing the governor on any engine can be dangerous. Mark