quick side four-bolt side cover question

I finally started digging into an old Brigs NP motor I have had for a while. I was reading about other "four bolt" motors that at one time been attached to various pumps/reduction boxes/etc. It was mentioned in one of those threads that with the pump/etc there is a "side cover" which holds the seal and if it is not there... major oil leak. Just to confirm if this is true or not. When I got this motor, the pump did not come with it....

Also, with the threaded (no keyway) shaft, is this motor pretty much useless as a powerplant for any minibike or small cart?

Here is an old pic of the motor before its initial teardown...

I had a pump motor with a threaded and not keyed shaft at one point and I got a key way cut in it and I used it on my minibike for a long time. :thumbsup:

Yep, I read about having the crank modded to be a keyed shaft. I might not get around to taking the crank out to have it machined, thus this motor might be just a bench runner or act as power for some weird garden art type contraption. Or find a rad old school pump that I can hook up and use for my backyard pond/water feature. Instead of peacefull tranquility next to the waterfall- putt-putt-putt-putt-putt!

But what I really need to know is if I need that four-bolt side cover.

Motra

The side cover you're refering to is on newer engines. Those old engine cases split horizontally so they don't have a side cover. The black engine in the picture would have a side cover. Not all side covers have that four bolt pattern so that's why people say you need an engine with the four bolt sidecover. Your ancient cast iron engine has the four bolt pattern on the case.