rear sproket

So its time for a new rear sprocket for my Cat 300x. It originally had a 69 tooth on the rear. But I’m going to get a 60 tooth machine able steel blank. I run 13" tires and I have a 12 tooth on my clutch. And a bone stock ungoverned 5 hp Briggs.

Will the 60 tooth be to much of a drop from the factory 69 tooth? or will it still be ok and still have good take-off/pulling/acceleration? Thanks :grind:

Last edited:

Oldsalt

As I recall a 300 CAT does not have a jack shaft. Your current sprockets [69 tooth and 12 tooth] eguals a 5.75 to 1 ratio. That's pretty tall but I'm sure the 5 horse handles it even with the 13" diameter tire. But useing a 60 tooth with the 12 tooth makes the reduction 5.00 to one. I'm guessing you'll be sorta slow off the line and hard on the clutch. I wouldn't do it but then, I weigh 240 lbs. At that weight a 72 tooth [6.00 to 1 ratio] would be the lowest gear I could use. Thats why I put a jack shaft on my CAT.

So i suppose i should look for somthing bigger then huh? Problem is 60tooth is the biggest #35 plain blank steel sproket i can get. Any one know where i can get a replacment? thanks

if you don't mind switching to an aftermarket wheel you can get all sizes of sprockets.

i did that with my Cat but the rear wheel is offset due to the hub design. if my current rear wheel project doesn't work i'm going to have a spacer made for the sprocket so i can get the wheel centered (and ditch the squared slick).

here's a pic of it that way. i think i got the rear wheel from mfgsupply.com

i'm working on fitting a 13x5-6 rear tire now which is getting to be a pain in the ass. i've got it mocked up and it's going to be damn close. hopefully i'll have my wheel spacer by the end of next week and have it all back together next weekend. i hope this works because otherwise i've got a useless $150 rear wheel setup. it's also been at least 4 months now since i've ridden my bike so i really want to do some riding.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

So i suppose i should look for somthing bigger then huh? Problem is 60tooth is the biggest #35 plain blank steel sproket i can get. Any one know where i can get a replacment? thanks
Order another 69 tooth or 72 tooth sprocket. [72 would probably be better IF it is not so large in diameter that it interferes with the frame]. The plain blank steel sprocket is the way to go. They'er fine for the average mini. PM me for my address so no one finds out it's Lon Miller 1913 Celestia Drive Walla Walla WA. 99362. Send it and your old sprocket for refference [I don't want there to be any mistakes] and I'll dial it in, bore it to size, and drill the 4 holes. I ask you to cover the postage.

i'm going to send you "bill me later" magazine offers now!

:thefinger:

actually i won't. if you do get any it's not from me. i'm not that mean.

Hmm. Interesting. Thought i replied in this thread but i guess not?. Any ways. Thanks for the help, I got a sprocket. I'll mention where i got it and every thing when i do a CAT Rebuild thread on here. Thanks again :thumbsup: