reasons why you should be more careful with your mini bike

sat i was working on a bike,had it on a cement block and chocked in front.
its all good right?
erm..no.

im setting the throttle springs up and sitting next to the bike.
the spring breaks the throttle goes wide open the bike starts sliding all over the place and then flops sideways on the ground.
i jump up grab the brake handle and think to myself .."i got this "
and again...erm...no.

brakes? we don need no stinkin brakes!:scared:

it kicks a couple of patches up hits the front block then stands almost straight up does a foot long burnout in the dirt and Leaps off the ground,with me still holding the handle with a deathgrip and hey nothings happening lol!
proceeds to do a bouncing circle dragging me around
Bounce the grill get a good thump on the way by,Bounce it heads towards the porch,Bounce my dogs pen,Bounce then the Neighbors place and now starting to wonder just exactly what im going to do about this...
it spits out a key for the chain gear and finally the chain comes off and the bike stops...
( ty Jesus )

i look around to see if anyones watching and Of course my neighbors 3 doors down are out back and pointing and laughing.
doh! :anon.sml:

so i learned a few things..
you cannot count on a drum brake to stop you no matter how clean/new it is.
use a stand to work on your bike not a cement block like some other people.:doah:

Kinda reminds me of taking noobs water skiing.
When you fall, LET GO OF THE ROPE STUPID!!!!!

But I did something sorta the same. I'll post it later. Gotta take my morning ride.:smile:

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Little things can get away from you pretty quick.

I was testing fitting, and running my first super bronc I restored. Threw it together, and took it down the yard, opened it up a little, and when I quickly found out that I didn't have nuts on the shocks where they bolt to the seat. The seat slide down, I fell off backwards, and the old girl in perfect balance rolled 20 yards right into the side of the garage.

Couple scratches on the bike, and my hurt pride. had to repaint the front end and pound the fender back to its original shape.

Cuda54

Kill switches are one of the first things I put on anything now! Thank GOD it was in snow my son who is 36 was on my TRI-ROD. It is a 10hp with a new cable on the throttle. We were trying out the front ski his foot slipped off the floor board and hit the throttle cable. And it pulled the end out of the twist throttle. He was standing there the front in the air holding on to handle bars and it sounded like it was wide open. I pulled the plug wire off to stop it. Now the throttle cable is taped tight and a good kill switch was put on. It is more important than brakes. Funny how things like that happen!

lol!
yeah the ironic part was i couldnt reach the kill switch,
it was the stock one on the motor itself on the Other side of the bike ( of course lol )

this reminds me of my friend tim,we had just put a brand new 5hp on a tiny bike and hes riding it around my yard.
starts going faster n faster doing bigger n bigger circles and then realizes hes headed into the pine trees wayyyyyyy too late.
tries to bail off but succeeds only in following the mini as it vanishes into the treeline then reappears by itself no rider and rolls out a bit falls over n starts smoking like a train.
he was a bit embarassed n we were dying laughing.

Know the feeling, there still a black mark on the back wall of the garage where my Fat Cat tried to escape. Brand new Stage 1 kit in a clone, throttle stuck and couldn't reach the kill, that big ol' 22" knobby throwing smoke everywhere. While I was waiting for the smoke to clear I got me a beer and thought about what happened and as the others said, went and dug out a kill switch and mounted on the bars. Put one on everything now, saved me once or twice and my cousin who said he'd ridden a mini bike before, was able to hit the switch as he went by half off the bike and screaming.

Well, this one time at band camp....JK, I never went to band camp.

Anyways, I was up in Breckenridge CO. during the summer season at my then girlfriends place.
We got into an argument, probably something to do with her not letting play with her schnauzer. I got mad, and decided to go back home to Boulder.
Unfortunately, my 17' runabout was attached to the back of her SUV.
Fortunately my sex van was parked right next to her suv in the driveway.
Unfortunately, her driveway had a bit of a slope.
Fortunately, I had an idea.
Unfortunately, it didn't go quite as planned.
Fortunately, I got the boat unhooked from the SUV.
Unfortunately, I didn't get it over to the van.
Fortunately, her driveway was short, and mostly level.
Unfortunately, the road off of her driveway wasn't.
Fortunately, I had a hold of the tongue.
Unfortunately, the tongue was attached to the trailer.
Fortunately, after picking up great speed, I managed to let go.
Unfortunately, the boat kept going.
Fortunately, the boat stopped.
Unfortunately, it was in the woods.
Fortunately, she saw the whole thing.
Unfortunately, all she could do was yell, JOE!!!???
Fortunately, I got my van under it, and went home.
Unfortunately, it was without any schnauzer.

had not so super Superman move the other day..was doing some wheelies dragging my feet..slipped..with my belly on the seat,arms straight out hanging on to handles..of course throttle wide open coz I couldn't let go..sideswiped chain link fence..errr note to self..make bracket to move seat back 4" and wear knee pads..was on dirt but still scraped and sore knees..was wearing shorts.. D:

Last edited:
had not so super Superman move the other day..was doing some wheelies dragging my feet..slipped..with my belly on the seat,arms straight out hanging on to handles..of course throttle wide open coz I couldn't let go..sideswiped chain link fence..errr note to self..make bracket to move seat back 4" and wear knee pads..was on dirt but still scraped and sore knees..was wearing shorts.. D:
ahhh ty for reminding me...
i had just put together this super charger and was testing it but something was wrong with the belt angles.
i Still took it out on the street.....<dumbass
ride it up the street,mildly,come back a bit of a burst,get to the end of the street.
locals are out watching the show,so i do a little burnout and take off..throttle sticks...seat studs break Off seat slides back and lands half on frame half off,im doing the superman just like you were,and off onto the grass/sidewalk at speed.
i pull my self back up and Clamp my legs to the frame,manage to swerve back on the road....
my buddies standing next to his truck as i go by his bumper by like an inch,and then manage to killswitch it.

he thought it was hilarious till he saw the 7 inch long exhaust burn on my leg where i was clamping the bike so hard.....

If I'm testing a bike on the ground that is capable of taking off , I do it with the front wheel jammed against the fence , cant go very far that way:laugh:

Cuda54

When I was a kid on my first mini bike it was a Bird Mike Bike. Me and my friends were riding at our farm and had a great day. We had about 8 or 9 minis running every where. Well they started running threw a muddy spot going between the buildings. We started seeing how far we could splash the water we did this for about 20min. I had done this a few time so I was going threw and it spins out and I turn right into a stack of railroad ties. Right a head of all my buddied I crash I was done my front wheel was bent tight into the motor mount. Was fixed later but it hurt my pride more than the bike. So then I got out my dad's 59 Cushman and we hit the roads. 13 and having a great time in my life!

Throttle stuck on my Lil Indian last month, It bounced around while I held on to it until the chain popped. I'll be mounting kill switches next to the throttles on my bikes now.

sooo,another addition to dos n donts....
dont...try to go 30 mph on a shitty section of the trail....where theres potholes.:doah:
i knew this...and yet...

result..im in flight..with no movie..and no free peanuts.
ending..bars doa..rear seat shock mount tweaked...left peg gonzo.
right leg,a new scar to treasure,and a good chip off the old anklebone on my way off the bike.
just....dumb.

be safe out there!
( and if you have a set of handlebars that will fit this thing lmk please? )

I learned something new about gasoline fires the other day. They dont go out with water. Just get spread around and catch more things on fire. I was screwing around with a junk mower it was seized up and stuck valves. Blowing crust out the carb. So I filled up the carb with gas to loosten things up in there and it worked. It was locked up from the gas so i pulled the plug and thought id check for spark while it was out. I kinda expected it to catch fire that way I would know if it was sparking. Plus it would be a nice show. Well I grabbed the hose and ended up with fire everywhere. Intresting. Next time go for the extinguisher if its important I guess. Didnt hurt anything on the mower the gas floated to the top of the water. So then i dropped the bowl and it was a disaster in the carb so i gave up and scrapped it.

I had a not-so-superman moment this first time out on my baja. Got to the track early and was putting down some hot laps, my right peg dug down into the dirt knocking off the the back. As I slide back hanging on trying to not drop my new bike I locked the throttle wide open. Rode it belly to seat a good 20 yards before aiming it in a safe direction and letting go. My chin stopped me from sliding too far and the bike fell about 20 yards ahead of me. No one who saw it, luckily...:doah:

A $10 tether kill switch will save alot of issues because if this.

I always have a tether kill on all my stuff. Just pull it off and it kills it instantly.

And I hope your OK !!!!