Rebushing a 130000 Crankcase Cover

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone on the board who would be willing to rebush a crankcase cover for a Briggs 130000 series 5hp engine. I bought this off of Ebay and of course the bushing is shot. I need this cover as it has the four threaded holes for a clutch cover. I don't have the tools for this operation. I am willing to pay what it costs. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Doc

What is the diameter of the crank where it goes into the bush? I have some small journal ball bearing covers you can have but if the crank is 1 inch you need the large bearing side cover.

I got mine at the local mower shop was 12 bucks. The cover however was hard to find. Many more small bearing covers around. I am about to catch a plane and will be away but I may still have my old sidecover and if I do it is yours for shipping.

Thanks Ole. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to build a relationship with a lawn mower shop and you'd think in a big city like Cleveland it wouldn't be that hard. The only problem is I am a day late and others already are in front of me in line. Eventually I'll get in with one or two :laugh:.

The other thing already discussed in another recent thread is that none of the shops want to do any other work besides a spark plug and an oil change. No valve jobs, no honing, nothing. Thankfully I can do those things but I am always amazed at the work they pass by.

Doc

No, he just needs a side cover like he has, thats not broke.. :laugh:

OR a large bearing and cover.. The bearings are expensive though..
So here is my question for you.

I have a 130000 series, both mag and PTO bushed. Can I put a side cover on that has a large bearing to the existing crank or do I have to change out the crank also.

Doc

Yes.. If you use a standard bushed engine, remove the side cover, ad a bearing, replace the cover for the bearing cover, it will all go together and work..

IT WILL leave an exposed piece of crank, that is one inch and extending out like 1/4 inch or 3/8 of an inch...

If the motor worked in the machine before, it will be fine...

IF a guy HAD a machine, that uses a briggs bearing engine from the factory, THEN you replaced it with a homemade bearing motor, your clutch and chain may not line up anymore, because the clutch is pushed out 3/8 of an inch...

Hello Docdc,

Another idea, you can mount your clutch cover to a side cover without the 4 mounting holes.

Just use the 2 side cover bolts above where the side cover bolts to the block. You will need to drill holes higher in the clutch cover, find 2 longer side cover bolts, and place a spacer between the side cover and the clutch guard.

I've done this several times and works great no problems. :thumbsup:

No, if ya drill away the bushing there is nothing left.. They are pretty thin, except for right where parts go, there is a casting to hold whatever is going into it, but no extra material..

Here is a bracket that I made that works on the 5hp motors WITH the 4 holes side cover OR you can use the side cover bolts and the spacers and also on the clone motors. Made out of Stainless Steel and then given the "Brushed" look.

These were the 1st Gen bracket I made that will only work on the 4 bolt mounting circles and then I got to thinking and revised it so that it could work on the 4 bolt mount or use the side cover bolts and mount that way.

Last edited:
Here is a bracket that I made that works on the 5hp motors WITH the 4 holes side cover OR you can use the side cover bolts and the spacers and also on the clone motors. Made out of Stainless Steel and then given the "Brushed" look.
Yeah, probably.. :laugh:

He's good, I am sending him another case cover..

hemigremmy, that's a cool clutch cover. :thumbsup:

Bill, I don't know if would work or not, but looks like in bad shape, appears has bolts broken off in all 4 holes. :shrug:

MB165

I hit doc up for a little project, and went ahead and rebushed his cover......Plus I got to use a new gadget, a coax indicator, in place of my antique last word to center the piece. Results came out very nice, with a oilite bushing installed.

old crank used as a mandrel