Recent Purchase

pomfish

I picked this up off Craig's list last week and just got to mess with it today.

It had no clutch but I dug one up in my parts drawer.
It's powered by a Tech/craftsman 3.5.

The guy says he couldn't get it running, but it has spark and compression and turns over fine.

So, I checked spark and Yep, nice and strong.
Drained the old gas (not much in there), stuck a rag in the tank to absorb any leftover and pulled the bowl off the carb.
Nice and clean, float pin drops easy, no gunk on the pilot of main hole, screw looks good, etc.

Sure enough, she doesn't run...?

But I know what is wrong for I have been down this road some 35 years ago.

My first Minibike was a CAT Eliminator with the 4HP Tech and my best friend growing up Charlie had a 5HP Briggs Sears Minibike and I could hang with him.

We both new that the governor was holding us back, so we would override it by pushing on the butterfly and wring that puppy for all she was worth.
Well, one day I wrung her too much and blew the rod and toasted the cam, the rod actually split the camshaft in two.

Anyway, once I got all the parts I needed, I reassembled my engine and she would not start.
Had plenty of spark, fuel and compression. Pulled the crap out of it and no go.
It was stored at my friend Joe's house because that's near where it broke.

Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night about a week later and just said, "It's the Cam Timing!"

Went to Joe's in the Morning, tore her apart, rotated the cam 180 degrees, buttoned it up and She roared to Life!

When I went to look at this minibike I noticed Orange Permatex around the drive side case and said to the owner, "Someone has had the case off for whatever reason"

Anyway, I am going to wait until Tuesday when I am off and can get the proper gasket and pull her apart and rotate the cam 180 and see what gives.

Enjoy the pics and see the motorcycle seat that I may rig onto it, I think it will work and raise me up a little compared to a traditional Minibike seat.

Also some pics of a 440 Scorpion snowmobile engine powered Go Kart (shes for sale cheap) and my Arctic Cat 500 4X4 atv.

Later,
Keith

Last edited:
I'd try starter fluid first, then you'll know if it's the carb, the check ball sticks if they sit a long time with bad gas and then the carb is screwed.

The cam has timing marks to see instantly.. :thumbsup: