registering mini bikes

mac350

well guys i live in yonkers ny and riding these mini bikes is illegal. as i am sure it is for alot of you guys too. i live in the city and we are not near any woods so i dont have any choice to ride it in the street. i know i cant register it like a car but i am trying to make it so if i do get stopped by the cops i wont get it taken away from me. any of you guys have an idea of what i need to do or what steps i have to take to get this done.

kbs8ball

Build the motor it so it goes REALLY fast !! that way you can out run the law. other that that on a vintage mini your screwed...just hope the cop dont like your mini too much and he confiscates that bad boy right into HIS garage....ya never know

Yup you got nothin. Just like posted above theres really nothing you can do. I live in a crowded suburb just outside the city and ride mine around quite a bit, just not too much as cops DO come by, mostly to use my culdasac as a cut through to to the main road, but hey, whatever...

in massachusetts there is a 50cc limit on minibikes, pocketbikes, ect. with some restrictions:full lighting, only some roads can be driven on, limited to 20 mph, stuff like that.

All I know is if they take it from me I am getting a receipt for it. I will then go to the station and pay whatever fine and get it right back. Later for all that going in the cops garage bullshit. I would then just not ride it in my neighborhood anymore. I would then transport it to another neighborhood in my van and ride it there. I have seen cops make kids put it in the cops trunk for them too back in the day. Shit, he wants to take it he is lifting that bitch into his own trunk.
Seriously, I think if a cop actually takes the time to stop me or call me over he will more than likely give me a warning and tell me not to ride it on his shift.

I really am not worried about the cops. I have only riden at night and I am careful as hell. I practically stop at all corners and try not to ride too much on one particular block. Planning out your ride and knowing your area and where the cops park helps alot too....

Mac,

We should pack up and go out to Suffolk one day and ride. I have a cousin that lives in Coram. I think we could get a lot or riding in out there before we got too tired.

Dan

back in the days a uncle told me he added lights,brake lights and turn signals on his min bike and mirrors and was able to register it street legal, this was back in the 70's when he did this .

so in another words like the rest of us were f@&ked

Last edited:
Speaking of back in the old days I was there then LOL. I sold the Powell Phantom 7 model J and it came from the factory with lights and I did register it for the Highway. It had about a 40 to 45 MPH speed tops.
I just rode on surface streets around Long Beach,California I never got stopped. I don't know how it will work out today but I have the original certificate of Manufacturing signed by Dorthy Powell one off the owners.
If you have a 1929 Ford Model A you can still run it on the street with some restrictions right, so why not a mini bike made to be licensed for the street ? So if a mini bike is wired up to have proper lights and brakes on both front and rear wheels. The other hurtle is insurance for state requirements and a motorcycle license.
My Tri-Sport RTS-440 trike was no problem to re register for street use and I had full coverage from my State Farm Agent.
Let's start a green movement to allow mini bikes to once again ride the open road and do our part in using less oil and having more fun in our coming and going. LOL
Merry Christmas Steve :scooter:

sounds good steve, i would love to have a mini bike as a daily driver.

would be a dream come true, with the cops around here where i stay at , their just waiting to catch some1 riding their minibike on the streets, the sad thing is they get auctioned off at the impound for around 20 or 40 dollars.

wish i knew some1 that worked at a impound i would probaly have a mini bike sales lot :smile:

Personaly, I know if i was givin the opportunity with granted permission to ride mini bikes on the street, I could do it. But it's not so much of me. Because you know sooner or later a bunch of stupid ass kids will take advantage and start riding there POS slow ass pocket bikes every where and ruin it for every one when they get hurt. And thats when the law suits start appearing. And just like that it gets ruined for every one. What ever. just my 2 penneys

Last edited:

JustEnough

I have been buying old minibikes and scooters that were street legal in their day. I find the cheap ones with a destroyed engine and then put a Honda clone engine on it. It takes some work, but a street legal minibike is quite a sought after item.