Request for help...Super Bronc hm80 with oem carb 632402 needs a shot of starting fluid to start...what needs adjusted ?

Hello Folks,

When my Super Bronc has been sitting any longer than a few minutes after running...you have to give it a shot of starting fluid for it to start ?

It's on a Tecumseh HM-80, with OEM carburetor 632402 (replaces 632199) using fuel pump (not sure of brand)

One shot of starting fluid, and it starts right up, then runs fine. Once you kill the motor, and let it sit more than a few minutes, you need to give it
another shot of starting fluid to start up.

It seems I recall reading a thread, or hearing in a conversation possibly, that this symptom is typical of the float needing adjusted, but have been not been able to find that thread.

Is anyone familiar with this symptom, from a tecumseh carb ? If so, what is the suggested resolution ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Well I’ve been there not to long ago....I found that a good cleaning helps...have you rebuilt your fuel pump...had to do that next...it seems to take more pulling with this old impulse pump....it only pumps fuel when engine turns as I understand....so if it starts it seems to me maybe a rebuild for that pumps in in store...just my uneducated opinion....

Thank you Steve.

I wondered about the fuel pump. I went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump this evening. It's supposed to be here by Sunday, so I'll change it out, and see if that was it, and will report back.

Thanks again.

Just a thought...try taking the pump out of the equation....just route the fuel line straight to the carb....in case you wanted to ride before tomorrow...