Restored or not?

I am currently starting a Roper project with little knowledge of what next. The bike I received for bonus payment on a siding job had been sitting outside for many years so a full restoration was in order. The problem I'm having is what the original color paint was. Upon removing faded red paint I found new blue paint but only in a few areas like under tube covers on back of seat or steering bar shield only round sticker emblem area. Also the gas tank had the original chrome sticker on top painted over. Odd thing is the fenders had the stickers on top of red paint and no blue paint in all of frame, fenders etc. Was this a factory thing or was this bike previously restored? Also does the color I plan to paint it make a difference in later value? There was no primer under any of the paint. Is this a tell tale sign of previous restoration?

Here is an old ad of the Sears Roper mini..

They also came in orange and chrome. I would think that if you are finding 2 different paint colors throughout the bike, then it was at one time re-painted. About 4 months ago, I finished restoring my Sears Roper bike. Is yours a single speed or 2 speed bike??

Thanks I have seen this ad before. That's what is puzzling is why would they not remove the paint in those few areas and it seems as if the blue paint was perfect. mine is a single speed. Came with tank and seat but no chain cover, also the sprocket looked like it at one time had a disk brake, was this normal?

Sorry I have removed the blue paint prior to post so pictures now would be bare steel only. I'm starting to think this may have been done at the factory and the blue was just not finished. Does color denote the single or 2 speed? The bike does have holes drilled out for the two speed cover I believe.

TomH

I seriously doubt if you are restoring it to resale, that you will get what you have in it. But, on the other hand if you are doing it for the challenge/fun factor build it for yourself and at least one person will be pleased. There are some nice models of that bike on this site, most are a little bit different than the other one. :scooter:

Yes, some Ropers came with a disk brake. Most came with the scrub brake and if you had the 2-speed set up, you could also mount a band brake. We need to see a photo of the bike..

george3

Here is an old ad of the Sears Roper mini..

They also came in orange and chrome. I would think that if you are finding 2 different paint colors throughout the bike, then it was at one time re-painted. About 4 months ago, I finished restoring my Sears Roper bike. Is yours a single speed or 2 speed bike??
wow look at all the extras you get for 25.00.

The bike is currently taken apart into pieces and getting ready for painting. That was the point of this thread was what the original color paint was since I would like to fully restore this bike. On the tube behind the front handlebar shield was blue paint next to red paint, on the back tubes just behind the seat their was blue paint next to red where the tube covers are. No blue paint under any red and no primer under any paint.The round part of the shield was blue but the rest was red. The Red paint looked original, but I only found one mark on the frame and it looks like a (J) stamped into the rear wheel on the frame. Does the (J) stand for anything? Thanks for all the replies. I think I have decided to paint it red and I will post pictures when I am done with project.

tonka,
Perform a search in the "Project Log" topic section using the search words "Sears Roper Project". Take a look at the thread started on 7-27-2011 by The Ruppster 86. I think he did a pretty darn good job, especially for a kid only 15 years old at the time.:thumbsup: But then again, it is possible that I just MAY be a bit bias!?:laugh: