Restoring a J.C. Penney's Cat Duster...advice needed.

I have a frame/forks from a Cat Duster. I want to make it into a cool little chopper mini-bike. After Googling various pictures, I think there was a couple different versions...one had a rear disc brake, and one had a scrub brake.

My frame has the pedal for the scrub brake but still has the mount for the rear disc also. Apparently, the same frame was used on the different versions.

I'm planning on doing away with both brake set-ups (disc mount and scrub) and using an Azusa drum brake and wheels.

I'm looking for some advice as to wheel sizes and tire sizes. I think that maybe the Dusters originally used a wider rear wheel/tire combo and a smaller diameter front. Anybody know for sure?

I'm not trying to do an exact, original, correct restoration...I just want this to be a cool mini to be proud of. As of right now, the engine plan is a Briggs 5HP Industrial "Plus".

I'm considering a Torq-A-Verter or maybe a two-speed jack-shaft.

If you have a Duster, please post pics in this thread...I'm looking for ideas!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is this what you have
Nope, I think that's a Cat, but not a Duster. The Duster had higher handlebars, longer forks, and more of a "chopper look".

I used to have one similar to yours, but it had a Briggs engine which I think was original. I think mine was a Cat 300X or 400X...don't think it had dual springs on the forks like yours...justa single spring on the fork/frame pivot point.

Nice looking bike ya got there but how do you put gas in it?

Like this ... Post a pic and we can give you better advise ... This is one I picked up a couple of weeks ago ... Will not outfit a Briggs ... Must run a Tec on this model ... Everything else hits the rear tire ...

ErikR

You can alway's put a clone,lol!:thumbsup: This is the way I got mine, runs like a champ but the only down fall, it sway's a little bit in the beginning stages of riding it at first. My favorite bike by far:scooter:

Last edited:
You can alway's put a clone,lol!:thumbsup: This is the way I got mine, runs like a champ but the only down fall, it sway's a little bit in the beginning stages of riding it at first. My favorite bike by far:scooter:
That looks pretty slick bro ... :thumbsup: ... Just picked mine up and it seems too small for me to ride ... How does it feel as far as comfort ??

Rockwall and ErikR,

Yup, mine is the same frame as you guys posted...but that's all I have. I want to order wheels, tires, brakes, etc. Would possibly like a wider tire in the rear but want to keep the height the same...what would you guys get for wheels & tires & brakes if you were me? I'm thinking 6" but not sure if I should go with a drum or a band brake...I plan on removing the scrub pedal and caliper bracket to clean up the frame...I want to have a rolling chassis soon. Thanks!

Also, I'm thinking about jack-shafts, clutches, TAV's, etc.

Rockwall...you don't think a 5HP Briggs Industrial would fit? What size tires/wheels are on your Duster?

Rockwall and ErikR,

Rockwall...you don't think a 5HP Briggs Industrial would fit? What size tires/wheels are on your Duster?
My 5 hp Briggs definitely hits the back tire before it even gets to the engine slots ... Even the 3hp does but thats with the large tank ... If you had a small tank like my Blue 250 Cat in my photos has it might clear ... I don't have a small tank Briggs they are in my storage so I haven't tried it ... I'll probably wait till I find a Tec before I put an engine on it ...It has the original front and back tires on it ... I can get the sizes for you tonite ... The rear is larger than the front ... The rim/sprocket set-up may be hard to find but post in the wanted for them maybe some one here can fix you up ... Good Luck with your project :thumbsup:
Roc

ErikR

That looks pretty slick bro ... :thumbsup: ... Just picked mine up and it seems too small for me to ride ... How does it feel as far as comfort ??
The ride is pretty sketchy (the rake,forks longivity) at first but when you get used to it, it's the best ride ever. It feel's like riding an Old School harley chopper (wide turns),lol! You have a nice ride there too by the way, can't wait to see it done.:thumbsup:

The front tire is a 12.5-6 and the rear is a 4.00-6 ... These tire sizes may be hard to find but send a pm to BaggerHD ... He has a source for the Cat type tires ....... I'm gonna use the same size tires that are on my Blue Cat 250 ... 4.10/3.50-6 in the front and the wider 13x5.00-6 in the rear

The front tire is a 12.5-6 and the rear is a 4.00-6 ... These tire sizes may be hard to find but send a pm to BaggerHD ... He has a source for the Cat type tires ....... I'm gonna use the same size tires that are on my Blue Cat 250 ... 4.10/3.50-6 in the front and the wider 13x5.00-6 in the rear
Thanks for that. I really like your Blue Cat 250! Very clean and simple! I had a nice all original gold color Cat 400X, but I sold it about ten years ago...dumb move.:hammer:

I'll try to get a picture of my Duster frame posted as it is now so I can do a "before and after".