Rick From Phelan Ca

Just came in to one of my first bikes Powell Challenger wanted to see what I've been missing my first mini bike was a Flea has any one herd of it the powell is completly orig.....

Last edited:

Smallbore

Your Powell looks good :thumbsup: Dont see many around with the stock clutch cover/chain guard. They usually get lost over the years. Did you find it up their in the high desert :confused:

Shadow 12

No a freind of mine worked construction and he was doing a remodel and he saw it in a shed so he traded some of his labor for it he new it was one of my first mini bikes i had so he dangled it in my face for awhile sad to say he passed away and told his mom to make sure I got it...the one I had was actully called a Shadow it was built by a freind that owend long beach Go karts and Mini Bike...

Dude I cannot even get any of my friends to take a ride on my mini. They think I am crazy and that Thor is a death machine. Pussies.

Powell Phantom

Just came in to one of my first bikes Powell Challenger wanted to see what I've been missing my first mini bike was a Flea has any one herd of it the Powell is completly orig.....
Hello Rick : I was a Powell dealer in Long Beach, California but my store was called D&D Mini Cycle & Kart Engineering. The store was on Orange Ave there was a mini bike store in the same place but it had gone out of business and we leased the store building . Your Powell is the early model with the side shift there was a lot of them sold but the Powell's I sold were the Challenger's with the comet full torque converters . I have now 3 Powell's two will be the 7 HP Phantoms and the other a 5 HP Challenger.
Steve :scooter:

Dude I cannot even get any of my friends to take a ride on my mini. They think I am crazy and that Thor is a death machine. Pussies.
most of my friends think it's kind of neat (but i spend way too much) and a lot of the people i work with love them.

most of my friends think i should get a dirt bike instead. i've had dirt bikes and mini bikes are way more fun.

yeah my shadow had a full torgue convertor also and a rear hand brake instead of a scrub also had a gas tank between the seat and the handle bars.....:wink:

Last edited:
The Powell is one of the most unique mini bikes out there EVER . The front end is held together by a big wing nut. The two half's pull apart and each half has the ball bearing in it and they together capture the hardened pin that is the headpiece of the frame. The throttle cable is made with a quick disconnect and is made like a rack and pinion the rack is a small piece of aluminum swagged onto the wire cable and the pinion gear is on the drum of the twist grip. The Powell also has a big wing nut that holds on the seat with the front end off and the seat off this mini bike sits flat on the frame rails in your sedans trunk.
The Powell mini bike will out perform 90% of all mini bikes ever produced and that includes a lot of machines. Bonanza and Powell were the competition on the tracks back in the early 1970's before the mini cycle craze hit the scene. I know this because I was there.
Powell had a very big following that was not from the kids it was from adult riders that wanted an off road machine but not a Tote gote. They handle very well and were dependable. For pictures of the Powell you can find them on minidoodle.com and US Scooters built before 1970 @ scooter.lst1090.org
Steve :scooter:

Hello Steve,
I'm very interested in the powell challenger and would like to try to build one, but
I think that I would have to see a real bike to have a good idea about it's design. I have seen pictures here but they don't show much detail. I live in the southeast ( Tn. ) and
that minibike is very scarce around here. If there was a minibike show that I might drive
to, maybe I could see one. I would appreciate any information that you might give
about this mini. Thank You,
Derry

most of my friends think i should get a dirt bike instead. i've had dirt bikes and mini bikes are way more fun.

I hear you there. I finally had to get a Harley to get my buddy off my back. He kept telling me I needed to sell off all my minis and get a Harley with the money. I just traded off one of my GTO projects for a harley and bought twice as many more minis LOL