Ride Report

JustEnough

I drove to a friends house last Sunday morning to ride minibikes. Brought my Cat 400x that is in all original condition and my 79 Honda MiniTrail z50r. The z50r is almost impossible to start when it is cold. I may be able to fix that with a valve adjustment, but I have not done that yet. Since the driveway at the house is gravel, I was unable to push start the z50r like I usually do, so we pulled the z50r with the 400x using a tiedown strap as a tow strap. By the end of the driveway the z50r was running fine. That is sure a lot easier than pushing the z50r along in third gear until I am gasping for air. :001_rolleyes:

After riding around on the bumpy backyard grass, on the 400x, I realized that the one inch spring on the forks and shocks on the seat were inadequate for my 6'4", 200 pound body. My 160 pound friend took over the 400x and seemed OK with it. The z50r sure had a smooth ride with it's full suspension and three speed transmission. Since I want to leave the 400x in original condition, I think I need to hurry up and finish my Bonanza 1200, which has a more capable suspension. :grind:

The 400x is in "like new" condition, so the 400x with it's 4hp Briggs, was actually pulling stronger and faster than the z50r. The z50r seemed to top out at 30mph and 35mph for the 400x The engagement of the clutch on the 400x was so rough, that I think I will put one of the metallic shoe MaxTorque clutches I have, on it. They make a jingly sound, but I think they engage a lot smoother. :thumbsup:

My friend tells me to follow him, so there we go - two 50 year old men riding minibikes two miles down the Garden Highway. Riding in the fog down that levee road along the Sacramento River, was fun and surreal, but I was relieved when we completed the two mile return trip without being spotted by Officer Friendly. :scooter:

I usually do not write long posts like this, but I had so much fun, I had to share it. :eek:nline2long:

Mac

The engagement of the clutch on the 400x was so rough, that I think I will put one of the metallic shoe MaxTorque clutches I have, on it. They make a jingly sound, but I think they engage a lot smoother.
Try a Comet someday. I think the engagement is smoother than a Max-Torque.

:cowboy: