Riding Mower Brakes .. What?

So in one of my previous threads, a group of guys suggested a WHOLE bunch of alternative brake options (not including the stock disc brakes cause I can't get them). Somebody out of the group suggested that I could use "brakes off of a lawn mower at some lawn mower junk shop." or something :huh: and I am really not sure of what to look for.

I know a place that has a few broken down lawn mowers that they might let me take the piece off of, but I don't know where the brake is on the lawn mower or what it looks like. Does anyone have general knowledge on riding lawn mowers??? :sad:

I've already investigated other alternatives (e.g. scrub brake, bike disc brakes, etc.) but I wanted to know if the brakes off of a riding mower might be better :shrug:

The brakes I have seen on the sears/craftsman tractors I have are just a tiny disc (3"-5") and a mechanical caliper mounted right on the transaxle or the old, common band type brake.

The caliper from a tractor might work but ......what types of tractors do you have access to?

Last edited:

delray

most of the riding lawnmower brakes i have seen have been small or real small. i don't think your going to get the braking power you are looking for on a minibike setup. there may be couple type of models with a larger units? just haven't seen any yet.:shrug:
on my riding lawnmower it has a small disc brake, only use for setting the brake and still wants to roll little. most of the small disc brakes are going to have the braking power of a train stopping.

if you can find a larger disc brake unit? it may work ok on a jackshaft setup:thumbsup:

There are international shippers of minibike parts.

You can get stuff sent to you, sure it might take 2 weeks but you'll get what you need and be riding soon.

Heck it sounds like you could open up a shop there and have no competition and make a killing or at least enough to have a maxed out ride for the effort of importing parts there.

Or do they just ban such things there.

Tell me more about that area it sounds interesting.