rings?

i got a 5hp briggs and when i start it cold it blows grey smoke for a good 5 minutes or more once it gets to operating temp it quits for the most part everyonce in awile youl get a puff of smoke. this sounds like rings to me what do you think?

some newer pictures of it they suck because they were taking with my phone and the karts muddy because me and my neighbor were out playing and he misjudged a turn and ended up in a ditch he not a very experienced driver but hey we all started out. weve all had our own accidents it happens. :gunsmilie:the important thing is we jump back on and do it faster :gunsmilie:

Could be the rings, Nice I/C by the way, I wanna get my hands on one,

My motor has smoke every time I accelerate, and my motor is very healthy,

But however does not when I start it, get new rings and set the end gap

Could be the rings, Nice I/C by the way, I wanna get my hands on one,

My motor has smoke every time I accelerate, and my motor is very healthy,

But however does not when I start it, get new rings and set the end gap
im gonna get new piston and rings when i get my arc rod that why ill have it apart one time ill lap the valves wile i got it apart also. so it should be like a new engine

add a copper head gasket and exhaust gasket while your at it, better compression and heat transfer to the exhaust and head, yielding slightly better cooling where it counts

If you dont have a header you really want one! another thing make sure ya have a header brace to prevent block war page and ugly things from happening

and be sure to removal all governor parts, and seal the hole, you dont need something shattering down there

edwin

add a copper head gasket and exhaust gasket while your at it, better compression and heat transfer to the exhaust and head, yielding slightly better cooling where it counts

If you dont have a header you really want one! another thing make sure ya have a header brace to prevent block war page and ugly things from happening

and be sure to removal all governor parts, and seal the hole, you dont need something shattering down there
Jay Wrix, where can you get copper head gaskets for the 5 hp briggs. or do you just make your own out of copper ?

I wouldnt make your own, heres a link,

I use the Felpro .032 Inches

Rieken's Racing: Raptor Heads - OUT2WIN.COM

part number Part# 'FPS10002

Ive also noticed they dont like to seal all the time, if you have a head leak youll loose some horsepower, I used Copper permatex sealer, its a high temp and its copper colored, ill get ya the exact type when I get home tonight

damn, ya beat me by minutes

Oh ya, youll get a little gain out of the gasket due to a slight compression increase, just dont expect a brand new monster machine:thumbsup:

how thick of head gasket should i get? i got a head pipe and silencer on it. heres a picture i got an airfilter now to this is an old picture. so the copper exhast gasket helps with heat displacment? i honestly never woulda thought of that thanks

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It could be rings, it could be a worn out bore (not round), and it could be the valve guides. It's best to check all when you don't have the motor in hand over the net.

I use the .032 inch gasket, You also dont really need to cut the head down after using them,

The copper transfers heat alot better then aluminum or fiber washers, and then heat can be put into the header and dissapate better, along with keeping the exhaust hotter for a complete burn,

I use the .032 inch gasket, You also dont really need to cut the head down after using them,

The copper transfers heat alot better then aluminum or fiber washers, and then heat can be put into the header and dissapate better, along with keeping the exhaust hotter for a complete burn,
if it were a worn out bore woulddnt it smoke all the time? like constantly? i think its mostly rings or valve guide either way there all geting replaced when i get my new rod. is there any mild cams that will give some more power with out having to do little to none head work? i would also like to put on a 3hp flywheel and coil is there anything i need to check first my engine is a 1992 5hp i/c i know i gotta check keyway position but is thwere anything else? i have a 3 hp flywheel here but its from an old points engine if i get a newer coil will it work? let me know what you think thanks.

Id see if you can have it bored for cheap, and add an oversized piston and new rings, prevent long term damage and start fresh and as MDB said, it could be out
of round, and worn

Some performance shops, small engine shops, machine shops will do it for very cheap, its honestly the better way to go if you can afford it.

As for the mild cams I know most people like Dyno Cams, but I prefer precision cams, and more specifically the PC 1003, its a great cam and does not require block welding, I have ran mine for two years, and I love it, There customer service is also Awesome
tell them your budget, and what your using it for, theyll help ya all the way through

Precision Cams - Our Cams

As for the 3 horse flywheel I would be extremely careful, If it is an aluminum flywheel off of a mower I would toss it in the trash immediately, as they are an explosion hazard and are known to shatter. If it is Iron and in extremely good shape It could help with Rev'ing the motor and what not,

But breaker points or not the flywheels are interchangeable, only the briggs equipped with a lighting coil would be different, Just be sure you run the newer ignition as breaker points seem to float after 4,000 RPM's