Road Trip

I had a swell solo trip on my motocycle last week. Went east from Portland, Ore., to Baker City, then north into Washington and Idaho, back across Washington and home to Portland. I only had to touch the interstate freeways a little bit, and found lots of great twisty roads along the way. I found a ferry across the Columbia river near Grand Coulee, Wash., that I'd never been aware of. I also spent a day w/friends at a flat track race near Olympia, Wash., where I took photos of the racers. I take pics at lots of races, and share those on another site. 1,446 total miles. The bike ran just fine and the weather was perfect the whole time. It was so much fun.

The scenary over there is beautiful, you should have strapped a mini to the bike and put it in the picture of the winding road - That would have been a mini worth framing.

Oldsalt

Tom S.

Love that fly screen on the Ducati! You were not so far from me at one point. Went to Baker...Did you go up Hells Canyon from there?

I just like that he still uses terms like "swell"......reminds me of the old Leave it to Beaver show..:smile:

Simpler times......

Last edited:
Tom S.

Love that fly screen on the Ducati! You were not so far from me at one point. Went to Baker...Did you go up Hells Canyon from there?
I think the flyscreen looks cool, but it turned out to be good for little else besides keeping bugs off the back of the speedo. My wife wanted an outing, and I don't like riding across town in the morning traffic. So we trailered my bike out the gorge, rode bicycles on the old historic hwy for a bit and then she turned me loose after lunch and she went home. I went on to Heppner, Ukiah, Sumpter, Baker City, Halfway, Hell's Canyon Overlook, Joseph, Enterprise, Lewiston, Coeur d'Alene, Spokane, Kettle Kalls, Republic, Keller Ferry, Wilbur, Grand Coulee, Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Yakima, Chinook Pass, Packwood, Randle, Morton, Enumclaw, Yelm, Rainier and Olympia, touching the interstate only between Coeur d'Alene and Spokane. I rode home from Olympia on I-5 because there's no really effective parallel route on surface roads. The next time that I'm close to Walla Walla I'll look you up. I'd love to see your Studebaker race car.

Forest road 39 between Halfway and Joseph is fun. I've ridden dirt bikes between the Eagle Cap Wilderness and Hell's Canyon before, and up around Imnaha, but this was my first all-pavement ride in the area.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

A ridin' buddy lives in Union [near La Grande] so I have at one time or another been over most of the lesser roads. Don't have a really good touring machine like your Beemer. So my tours are considerably shorter than yours! I have been over the 39 with a 41 HD in late fall and the weather changed, it was not all that much fun getting to Joseph.