roller chain

I'm tired of stretched chains, broken master links, and making new chains every few weeks. I run #40 most of the time or 41 when I can't get 40 locally. I've read before that 420 is the way to go, but looking up the specs, it doesn't look stronger on paper. Again, thats on paper. Maybe it wears better, I don't know.

I see dirtbikes use #520 chain and the tensile strength is nearly double the strength of #420. Will this interchange?

What are you guys running on your offroad machines?

We don't ride the streets. All mud, BIG hills, rough feilds, railroad access roads, trails in the woods meant for atv's and dirtbikes. We ride our homebrew toys hard. Chains are our weak link.

Lets hear what you guys run. Thanks in advance.

ive only ever run #35, and i really abuse my mini's in the dirt. ive never broken a chain, although i have thrown a chain a few times because of alignment issues. i was told by a buddy of mine that if im going to use #35, i should get the stronger kart racing type.

i just run #35 on mine. i broke the chain once after it got wrapped up in the rear sprocket bolts a few times (the sprocket is bent so it throws it every few minutes and i switched to button heads so the chain wouldn't get wrapped up). i should have 60t and a 72t sprocket coming tomorrow.

Use quality chain and avoid the Chinese types. Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor supply, Harbor Freight, and others sell Chinese. Look at links and see if "china" is printed on them. 30-40 yrs ago you bought USA made chain for quality, now you can hardly find it. Japanese made usually is quality.
I have never had chain problems since stopping use of the Chinese stuff and won't sell cheapy chain..besides the constant hassle of stretching, it is dangerous if it comes off due to breakage when at speed

Last edited:
Use quality chain and avoid the Chinese types. Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor supply, Harbor Freight, and others sell Chinese. Look at links and see if "china" is printed on them. 30-40 yrs ago you bought USA made chain for quality, now you can hardly find it. Japanese made usually is quality.
I have never had chain problems since stopping use of the Chinese stuff and won't sell cheapy chain..besides the constant hassle of stretching, it is dangerous if it comes off due to breakage when at speed
thats got to be my problem. My chains stretch and stretch. I'll have to get some bettter quality chain. And make sure it isn't chinese.:thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

I see dirtbikes use #520 chain and the tensile strength is nearly double the strength of #420. Will this interchange?
Not by any "stretch" of the imagination :wink:. 520 chain has a significantly larger pitch and roller diameter than 420. 520 doesn't even interchange with 530.

Last edited:
Not by any "stretch" of the imagination :wink:. 520 chain has a significantly larger pitch and roller diameter than 420. 520 doesn't even interchange with 530.

yeah I found that out locally from a bike guru who also happens to own the hardware store where I have been buying the crappy chinese chain.

I plan on ordering some American made 420 in the near future.

big chain like that will just slow you down use high quality kart racing chain
I'm more concerned with durability. Our toys top out right now at just under 40. If I go a mph or 2 slower, so be it. We run quad and dirtbike trails. Sometimes the mud is 8 inches deep. There are always sticks and twigs getting hung up in the chain. During the wet season, that just ended, we will sometimes have to go thru water in a feild that is 10 inches deep. I'm more concerned with those types of conditions than top speed. To my son and I those are the funner things to do. We do enjoy the 5 mile speed runs along the railroad tracks, don't get me wrong. But the trails are more fun.