Roller Skating Anybody?

I am just now getting back into the rink and wondering if anybody else likes skating around too? If not, did you use to? I am really getting into the speed skating and not so much jam skating. I'm trying to find a good set of skates and wheels. Riedell, removable hub wheels. If you got anything put up in your attic collecting dust, go grab it and take a picture and send me a private message of them! I might be interested!

Last edited:

JamnJM

As a child I was the National RSROA champion speed skater....I almost could skate before walking as my parents meet roller skating after the war and both work at the world famous Skate ranch in Santa Ana, Calif.....

I'll post some photos tomorrow....

As a child I was the National RSROA champion speed skater....I almost could skate before walking as my parents meet roller skating after the war and both work at the world famous Skate ranch in Santa Ana, Calif.....

I'll post some photos tomorrow....
That's awesome! Still skate? I enter speed skating contests but end up coming in 3rd-4th. Practice makes perfect I guess! Do you still have your old equipment?

buckeye

I use to roller skate every Fiday, Sat and Sun. growing up.
I went this year. My 33 yo daughter had a skating party. Did pretty well until I got cocky.
Next thing I knew, I was face first. Nothing hurt but my thigh where my car keys were.
Still was as fun as ever. And the "hoods" still hang out at the rink.:laugh:

It took me a while, but I finally got the hang of it Bandit! And JamninJm, where do you find those pictures? What kind of floor did the Skate Ranch have?

I wasn't even sure people still skated on the conventional skates anymore....I though the inline Roller-Blades had taken over...:shrug:

a guy I work with has some old pics...his father was national speed champ or a national record holder or something back in the 40's-50's.....

I use to roller skate every Fiday, Sat and Sun. growing up.
I went this year. My 33 yo daughter had a skating party. Did pretty well until I got cocky.
Next thing I knew, I was face first. Nothing hurt but my thigh where my car keys were.
Still was as fun as ever. And the "hoods" still hang out at the rink.:laugh:
I've fell on my keys a few times.. Not fun at all.. I learned to put everything from my pockets, in my car! Haha!

I wasn't even sure people still skated on the conventional skates anymore....I though the inline Roller-Blades had taken over...:shrug:

a guy I work with has some old pics...his father was national speed champ or a national record holder or something back in the 40's-50's.....
Nope, quad skates are actually more popular than inline at my rink! Does anyone remember those removable hub wheels? I'm trying to find a set.. If anybody knowa where to get some, let me know! I can post a picture of what they look like if it would help.

this guy I was talking about had a picture frame with all his old medals, ribbons etc....trophys, his old skates...when he moved to Florida he threw it all in the trash cause he figured nobody cared about that stuff...:doah:

this guy I was talking about had a picture frame with all his old medals, ribbons etc....trophys, his old skates...when he moved to Florida he threw it all in the trash cause he figured nobody cared about that stuff...:doah:
Depending on the brand, and condition, there is a pretty big need for them.

Here is a removable hub wheel.

Notice how the back has a c-clip? Thats a great way to tell if it is a removable hub wheel. The metal hub and urethane 'tire' come in many different colors. Red, blue, black, chrome hubs, and any kind of color for the tire.

It took me a while, but I finally got the hang of it Bandit! And JamninJm, where do you find those pictures? What kind of floor did the Skate Ranch have?

My family skated from the '50's thru the '90's (sister) and I did so until the '69 when I found MX, Surfing the HS years....

Skate Ranch was a genuine wood floor unlike today's poly floors.

My lady friend (been dating almost the last year) was a champion rexing skater at the ranch years after I stopped going. We when skating last January and I kept it in my head I was not as young as back then. I did fine but feel once hard trying a hockey slide to a stop on PUR wheels....don't do that.

She is younger than me and thought she could still bust all those rexing moves....fell 5x & was black, blue and purple for weeks! :doah:

Depending on the brand, and condition, there is a pretty big need for them.

Here is a removable hub wheel.

Notice how the back has a c-clip? Thats a great way to tell if it is a removable hub wheel. The metal hub and urethane 'tire' come in many different colors. Red, blue, black, chrome hubs, and any kind of color for the tire.
Too new for me....but try skateboard shops and forums....

My family skated from the '50's thru the '90's (sister) and I did so until the '69 when I found MX, Surfing the HS years....

Skate Ranch was a genuine wood floor unlike today's poly floors.

My lady friend (been dating almost the last year) was a champion rexing skater at the ranch years after I stopped going. We when skating last January and I kept it in my head I was not as young as back then. I did fine but feel once hard trying a hockey slide to a stop on PUR wheels....don't do that.

She is younger than me and thought she could still bust all those rexing moves....fell 5x & was black, blue and purple for weeks! :doah:
I've tired hockey stopping when someone fell infront of me.. It doesn't work out. Haha!

I've tried to skate, really. Roller skates, ice skates, skateboards, and skis, too. But I just don't have the right gyro spinning inside of me to stay on top. I always land on my rear. I admire people who can do it.

KB2ROCKET

I skated as a kid and I worked in a rink for several years in the 80's I still have my skates my legs never were very strong so I wasnt very fast but I could jam skate and do some funky tricks :laugh: my skates are not for sale Im kinda attached to them

Last edited: