RTS update

wjustice

After struggling with the pumper carbs (several) on my RTS and still not getting it to start or run correctly, I gave up. I flipped the manifold and mounted a 34mm mikuni round slide carb. That caused problems because the carb ran straight into the shock crossbar. Well some bending, cutting and welding later I have room for the carb. It starts and runs well (still doing some jetting) and I got some other things done too.

carb up date..?

After struggling with the pumper carbs (several) on my RTS and still not getting it to start or run correctly, I gave up. I flipped the manifold and mounted a 34mm mikuni round slide carb. That caused problems because the carb ran straight into the shock crossbar. Well some bending, cutting and welding later I have room for the carb. It starts and runs well (still doing some jetting) and I got some other things done too.
Bill What motor are you running 290 or 340 and how is the jetting working out, i have a 340 and that would be a great carb to run, what did you conclude with the jetting ? thanks Mike.

wjustice

I'm running a 340 2ax. Its a bit lazy in the mid range but runs good in the top end and the plug color is good. The carb comes with a 330 main but i'm down to a 250. It comes with a 6dh3 needle but I changed it for the 6dh2 that is leaner. I may change the needle jet for a size smaller. It may have been better with a bigger carb (36-38mm) but the 34mm is what they offer in the conversion kits, so I went with that. The most it lost is some top end rpms and this thing goes plenty fast for me. I put a 30mm on my TS290 with the CCW290 and all it needed was a slight drop in the main jet (270 to 250). It starts so much easier and is a rocket. Now I need some better brakes on that!

I'm running a 340 2ax. Its a bit lazy in the mid range but runs good in the top end and the plug color is good. The carb comes with a 330 main but i'm down to a 250. It comes with a 6dh3 needle but I changed it for the 6dh2 that is leaner. I may change the needle jet for a size smaller. It may have been better with a bigger carb (36-38mm) but the 34mm is what they offer in the conversion kits, so I went with that. The most it lost is some top end rpms and this thing goes plenty fast for me. I put a 30mm on my TS290 with the CCW290 and all it needed was a slight drop in the main jet (270 to 250). It starts so much easier and is a rocket. Now I need some better brakes on that!
thanks Bill, ANOTHER QUESTION IM LOOKING FOR TWO REAR AXLE TUBES, FOR A ( RTS or RTS-SL ) dont need the long swing arm bar. Do you have any or know anyone that might. thanks Mike...

wjustice

Early 70s technologies baby! I like it. I was itching for that SL in Alabama but its not happening, oh well.

Last edited: