Rupp cam washers

I'm tired of scratching my head at these friggin things. markus has a pic of how they are supposed to go but it shows a little tab coming out of the frame.. mine doesnt have that nor does it show signs that one was ever there.

the other issue is that both washers are the same so they arent symmetrical on each side. am I missing something here? who else had trouble with these things? :hammer:

jrzmac

Those cam washers are chain tensioners. I guess they're supposed to tighten up the chain some how. I haven't quite figured out how they work? there is a little tab that the washer lines up against on the swing arm. I can see it on yours. Everytime I wanna tighten the chain I just loosen the nuts, pull back on the wheel, and tighten the nuts back up! also it's not something that you have to do everyday. here's a pic of mine. As you can see, I can't figure out just how the washers work exactly? :shrug:

jrzmac

maybe this pic shows a little better. you can see the little tab on the left side of the washer(around 9:00) that's supposed to line up with the little bump out on the frame. which it doesn't?? :doah:

The washers act like a cam..As you turn them against the little bump on the side of the swing arm they force the axle rearward..Once you tighten the axle nuts the washers help hold the axle from slipping forward under torque from the chain..I believe the little tab that sticks out on the washer is to tap against to make the washer turn while you are adjusting the chain tension.

Last edited:
jrzmac that area of my frame is completely smooth, thats why i was confused. it doesnt even have grind or wear marks in it- like it was never there. so what I did was turn both of them so that the tab on the washer was facing inside on both sides.. and it presses up against the slot in the frame that the axel sits it. I noticed that when I line them up like that the chain is tight and even the wheel is straight.. :blink: :shrug: so I just tightened that up like that. ive been riding all day with no issues so far.

if you dont have the nub on the swingarm your cam washers are useless. the tab on the washer is just to be able to turn it and position it with pliers. you can build up a spot on the swingarm with weld if your bike doesnt have it. Most bikes dont and never did. im not sure about the rupps but my 350 doesnt have them

jrzmac

jrzmac that area of my frame is completely smooth, thats why i was confused. it doesnt even have grind or wear marks in it- like it was never there. so what I did was turn both of them so that the tab on the washer was facing inside on both sides.. and it presses up against the slot in the frame that the axel sits it. I noticed that when I line them up like that the chain is tight and even the wheel is straight.. :blink: :shrug: so I just tightened that up like that. ive been riding all day with no issues so far.
Mr.GhettoRig, what is this spot in the pic? it doesn't look smooth to me?

I have the same thing

Mr.GhettoRig, what is this spot in the pic? it doesn't look smooth to me?

I have the same thing

I feel dumb :lol: I was reading through everything fast because my sister needed the computer for school. :doah:

I was referring to this pic earlier.. you can see a little tab that fits in that little space.. thats what I was saying I didnt have.

I did think about drilling it and putting bolts through like jeep said. but when both washers are lined up into position and pressed against the thick tabs in the swingarm, the wheel isnt straight at ALL... they way I have them currently set seems to be working pretty good, I may just have to check them every once in awhile.

jrzmac

like i said, I don't have mine the way they're supposed to be either. As long as it's working, i'm not even gonna :censure:with it!

markus

I feel dumb :lol: I was reading through everything fast because my sister needed the computer for school. :doah:

I was referring to this pic earlier.. you can see a little tab that fits in that little space.. thats what I was saying I didnt have.

I did think about drilling it and putting bolts through like jeep said. but when both washers are lined up into position and pressed against the thick tabs in the swingarm, the wheel isnt straight at ALL... they way I have them currently set seems to be working pretty good, I may just have to check them every once in awhile.
This may be confusing you, The adjuster on mine is about as far as it can be adjusted due to that bike still had the original chain on it from 1970. The blue of the swingarm showing a the top is not a tab, that is just the adjuster slot on the eccentric/cam washer.