RUPP "Rider" Project

Recently I picked up this 1971 Roadster from ebay. It was local and it was fairly cheap and best of all it was pretty complete.. My plan is to make it into an awesome rider with some fresh paint. I dont really care about making it a factory correct restoration, but It will have to be nice enough not to be ashamed of and it will have to start and run as close to new as possible. Also, I am on a budget, so no re-chroming or powdercoating. Whatever doesnt clean up, will get spray-bombed. (CHROME WON'T GET YA HOME!)
I have already started stripping paint and it appears that it was originally a purple roadster that someone spraybombed baby-blue and then re-spraybombed the dark blue you see here.
Dig on that crazy rear swing-arm kickstand.. I works surpisingly well and may keep it!

first thing I would do is safely store your old lighted Hs40 on the shelf and get briggs to abuse... Thats a pretty decent bike ya have there..
Too late for that. I sold it to another member on this board and picked up a cheap craigslist snowblower hssk50 to pound on. I decided I dont need lights and would rather have a more modern motor. As I plan on beating the $hit out of this bike on the street and in the dirt. I might even try to jump it :smile:
I may even end up scrapping the facotry rupp torque converter for a comet unit as they really rip, I am not sure yet.

Dissasembly...All the metal was in good sorts.

The forks were frozen up like the Ice Princess. I used a map torch to melt the plastic tubes out and managed to free em' up. Notice some of the old purple color on the fork.. Why the heck would someone paint over that?

Too late for that. I sold it to another member on this board and picked up a cheap craigslist snowblower hssk50 to pound on. I decided I dont need lights and would rather have a more modern motor. As I plan on beating the $hit out of this bike on the street and in the dirt. I might even try to jump it :smile:
I may even end up scrapping the facotry rupp torque converter for a comet unit as they really rip, I am not sure yet.
:doah: Oh thats right, that was the 100 dollar one huh? Well, good enough.. :wink:

forks re-assembled with new plastic sleeves, rubber bush & and fist full of synthetic castrol grease! Yes, the top bolts are too long. But it was all I had laying around as there were none in there when I got the bike. I plant to cut them to size

Last edited:
YES!!!!!!!! :punk: :punk: :punk: that Fury KICKS ASS!!!! It's ONLY NAME COULD be Christine. :wink: Yeah, the brakes are made in Italy.. The Cherry twist grip stuff is Japanese.. A lot of those little parts were imported..

Looking good..I have mine down to bare metal I just can't decide on a colour.I was thinking of using a wheel paint as well...:smile:
Wheel paint is the Tit$! The stuff is dry to the touch in like 10 miniutes.. I used 1 and 1/4 can to do my Frame, swing arm, tank & forks.. Just do like 4 ultra thin coats. If you lay it on too thick, it will definately run. It dries hard as a rock. Oh, and you dont need primer so you can save a few bucks there. I dont know why all spray paint isnt this nice. Beats the Pi$$ out of Crust-o-leum.

Cause if you don't pain the engine now you'll never get around to it. trust me I've been there before:doah: A little black spray paint can make make any engine look better and the bike it's in 200% better. Do it right the first time. you won't regret it:thumbsup: