Rupp roadster

cfh

I always weld the rupp fenders. it's mostly the rear fender though. it's nearly always cracked. i butt weld and grind flat. i do not use bondo because i then powdercoat the fender. i could use Jb Weld as a filler, but i don't. In context you don't see the repair, at least i don't.

i steel used steel wool and mixed up some stuff to get rid of the rust. The hubs I just cleaned. If you look at the sprocket, it’s pretty thrashed. I actually have been meaning to buy a new one.

Amazing difference in the before and after pics. I got the same results cleaning the rims of my 70 Scrambler. Went to work on them
with various combinations of ScotchBrite, rags, tooth brush, rubbing compound, Mothers Mag polish. Like your pics, I was surprised how well they came out.
Your sprocket actually looks pretty good compared to how you got it but I can see that maybe a new one might be the cherry on the cake.

I always weld the rupp fenders. it's mostly the rear fender though. it's nearly always cracked. i butt weld and grind flat. i do not use bondo because i then powdercoat the fender. i could use Jb Weld as a filler, but i don't. In context you don't see the repair, at least i don't.
Thats the way I would want to do it. So obviously, you end up with enough material to resurface it. Good to know. Haven't been there yet but
I got a feeling that day may be coming. Either that or I find a 12 step program for minibike addiction.

GustoGuy

Amazing difference in the before and after pics. I got the same results cleaning the rims of my 70 Scrambler. Went to work on them
with various combinations of ScotchBrite, rags, tooth brush, rubbing compound, Mothers Mag polish. Like your pics, I was surprised how well they came out.
Your sprocket actually looks pretty good compared to how you got it but I can see that maybe a new one might be the cherry on the cake.

EvapoRust is great stuff and I was able to clean up my Rupp wheels with it I bought a gallon of it at Harbor Freight tool. I then powder coated it with Chrome powder coat and sprayed it with automotive grade 2K Spray Max glamor clear coat. The place I did it at said lots of Hot rodders do this with their 20190624_211203.jpg old mag wheels since the clear powder coat clear coat ruins the shiny Chrome appearance of the Chrome powder coat and the 2 K spray Max does a great job of protecting the powder coat without destroying the Chrome finish.

Last edited:

cfh

if you don't want to use the 2k spray max (it's expensive and once mixed, you have to use the whole can), you can also use 1k Max. it does not mix, and you can use it like any other can of spray paint. And it's $15 a can. Because your hot rod friend is right, as soon as you put the clear powder over the chrome powder, the shiny goes away.

if you don't want to use the 2k spray max (it's expensive and once mixed, you have to use the whole can), you can also use 1k Max. it does not mix, and you can use it like any other can of spray paint. And it's $15 a can. Because your hot rod friend is right, as soon as you put the clear powder over the chrome powder, the shiny goes away.
You know I bought a can of max2k for an experiment…I hated having to use it up in the time allotted….I have used it up to 4 days after I mixed it with very good results….from them on it definitely deteriorated…day 6 left a cloudy coating….just an FYI….

markus

beautiful job on the bike @Brent m your pre build photos reminds me of the JC penney swinger Trail setup minus the Rupp decaling on the engine, they used a numbering system similar to the Black widow on the ID decal. the back of the seat would have been the tell most likely cant tell if any of it remained on your original seat though.

1691589045330.png

beautiful job on the bike @Brent m your pre build photos reminds me of the JC penney swinger Trail setup minus the Rupp decaling on the engine, they used a numbering system similar to the Black widow on the ID decal. the back of the seat would have been the tell most likely cant tell if any of it remained on your original seat though.

View attachment 304587
Yes be careful calling a swinger a rupp the “rupp people” will call you out and make you feel foolish for buying it….they are a hateful bunch!!!

ruppking

Yes be careful calling a swinger a rupp the “rupp people” will call you out and make you feel foolish for buying it….they are a hateful bunch!!!
JC Penny sold two different "SWINGER" minibikes. One was indeed made by Rupp. The Swinger Trail is an accepted Rupp model by Rupp enthusiasts.

GustoGuy

The 2K is a catalyst based and get much physically harder than non catalyst so it will not wear off as easy. Also it is much more UV resistant too and the non-coated Chrome powder coat is not very UV stable so it will break down and discolor if left uncoated. So far the Powder coated Chrome on my Rupp still looks great and it will be nearly 4 years since I did it in Fall of 2019.

cfh

I have several years on my chrome powder coat with SEM 1k spray can clear, and it has held up fine. the problem i have with the 2k stuff is the film thickness. you can see it on the pictures he posted above, it looks *thick*. on a gas tank or fender that is fine. but on a rim (or worse, handlebars), it really is not a good thing. you want a thin film covering the chrome powder, and the 2k products are just too much film thickness. this really presents a problem on handlebars, as your controls (throttle mostly) just won't work unless you remove all the material. but on rims and spokes that flex, having that much clear is not a good thing either. you can't add a flex additive to spray can products, so if the clear is too thick, it can spider.

I have even used clear lacquer over chrome powder coat. that even works. you have to use something, because the chrome powder will tarnish quite quickly if you don't use a clear over it. the SEM 1k dries harder than lacquer. but depending on how you're using the bike, either will work.

Just get reproduction Rupp Roadster 2 gasoline tank stickers and it will be a Rupp
No not to the “ rupp elite”. Just check back a few months on here you’ll see where I got beat up over it…and the prick that sold it to me ridiculed my nephew so bad about it on a rupp site he quit the site….I will never own or work on a rupp again…just my opinion….
It was a john fellow out of Virginia just in case his ball less ass is in here.

GustoGuy

No not to the “ rupp elite”. Just check back a few months on here you’ll see where I got beat up over it…and the prick that sold it to me ridiculed my nephew so bad about it on a rupp site he quit the site….I will never own or work on a rupp again…just my opinion….
It was a john fellow out of Virginia just in case his ball less ass is in here.

This is what I started with. Who gives a flying arse biscuit. No stickers on mine no proof of authenticity. Its got a souped up Predator 212cc stage 3 goes 57 mph. My wifes nephew I believe his name is wreck it Ralph flipped it over last year and gave it the high impact test on the asphalt. Now I got to fix it. 20190612_211713_resized.jpg 20210919_184032_resized.jpg 20190612_211713_resized.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I started with. Who gives a flying arse biscuit. No stickers on mine no proof of authenticity. Its got a souped up Predator 212cc stage 3 goes 57 mph. My wifes nephew I believe his name is wreck it Ralph flipped it over last year and gave it the high impact test on the asphalt. Now I got to fix it. View attachment 304601 View attachment 304602 View attachment 304601 This vintage roadster captures the essence of a bygone era, showcasing a blend of style and engineering excellence. Its unique features and timeless appeal make it a sought-after collector's item among automotive enthusiasts. For students seeking support in crafting compelling statements of purpose or other academic writing tasks, https://ca.edubirdie.com/sop-writing-service is a platform offering professional writing services. Just as the Rupp Roadster stands out in the automotive world, Edubirdie assists students in creating standout academic content.
It's very cool

cfh

gusto what's with that front fender on the green rupp? and step in to take that picture, i see more driveway than the bike. ha!