Rupp W/ Uni Trak Suspension. Possible?

I'm wondering if anyone ever attempted to convert a Rupp R2 to have old school Uni Track suspension.

I know you would have to hack frame and part. Do you guys think it's possible. The pic is a vintage 80's Uni track any thoughts on how this could be done?

Just a off the wall thought on a project.

If I could see the set up on the original bike I could tell you how . But anyway yea you would have to hack the frame . I just bought a pit bike roller and came close to hacking my rupp and installing the suspension by not going to . If toucan get some pics of and original setup I will help .

Im assuming that you would do this strictly for the novelty of it
You could never do on a 6 inch wheel minibike
what you could do on a 15 inch wheel minicycle

Does this help David? Clearance on the rear of the frame for the shock, then unit to rear wheel and a chain tension roller are the issues.

Damn thats a hell of a setup there . May have opened my mouth to soon . thinking there might not be much left of the rupp frame after it is installed .

Yea Dave there are a lot of issues with this project .

Yea Dave there are a lot of issues with this project .
It does offer some good aspects for mini bike/cycle application though. Because it uses a linkage system instead of direct mounting, it's about the only way to use a "mono shock" on a small frame.

This set up might look really cool in a small wheel bike setup. I can visualize some 6" wheels, big knobbies running a swing arm at about 35-45 degrees. A jackshaft is the swing arm bushing of course, high stall clutch with RPM-able 2 or 4 stroke.

Of course you can get one from China right now for $350, but....it'd still be cool.

fistfullabar

It does offer some good aspects for mini bike/cycle application though. Because it uses a linkage system instead of direct mounting, it's about the only way to use a "mono shock" on a small frame.

This set up might look really cool in a small wheel bike setup. I can visualize some 6" wheels, big knobbies running a swing arm at about 35-45 degrees. A jackshaft is the swing arm bushing of course, high stall clutch with RPM-able 2 or 4 stroke.

Of course you can get one from China right now for $350, but....it'd still be cool.
not the only way

Will you get decent suspension with the fulcrum point of the swing arm being so far forward without laying the shock down and forward?

That's what I liked about Pap's idea- it creates a longer moment of movement with less shock required. Not sure what the technical terms are. Cool idea by the way.

fistfullabar

we love the ride had my buddy who is 400+lbs sit on it blows thru its travel so it could be more progressive i dont know what or where the fulcrumbs is break it down dave

I give fistfullabar credit for having the guts to try. I would like to try also. I think the Rupp R2 would be a good base to start with.
Question is can I hack on a perfect Rupp R2 frame and still feel good about myself. :anon.sml:

I like everyone's thoughts.

Ratbike

I give fistfullabar credit for having the guts to try. I would like to try also. I think the Rupp R2 would be a good base to start with.
Question is can I hack on a perfect Rupp R2 frame and still feel good about myself. :anon.sml:

Do It!!!:thumbsup: Then you can say you did it!!:laugh:

My thoughts cut it up . Look at it this way you will be building a RETRO MOD .

Guys do it everyday with classic cars , and this is just a mini bike :shrug:

toomanytoys

Rupps aren't all that rare. I can find several for sale within easy driving distance just about any given time.

I don't mind people cutting up bikes as long as they turn out well.

I've said it before David has cut up 2 of my favorite bikes, but has made them into two AWESOME bikes. I'm in full support of good work, not cutting up a frame and adding a bicycle wheel to it.

Rupps aren't all that rare. I can find several for sale within easy driving distance just about any given time.

I don't mind people cutting up bikes as long as they turn out well.

I've said it before David has cut up 2 of my favorite bikes, but has made them into two AWESOME bikes. I'm in full support of good work, not cutting up a frame and adding a bicycle wheel to it.
Thank you for the praise . I have cut up two , just wait and see my newest project coming soon . I'am expecting a delivery from Cali in a few days and this bike is awesome .

fistfullabar

all the suspension is bolt on front and rear but i did cut and stretch my rupp by 1inch with extra tubes on the insides to get the 6.5 powersport tecumseh on it:wink: i also built a bolt on link to extend the mount for the swingarm:2guns: