ruppster bought

james c

struck a deal on this ruppster, jlo 14 hp wont stay running, what are the common reasons for that? i remember a thread about it. more pics in my photos

Neck

Growing up is optional
That's totally COOL!!! I didn't think there were any of those on the west coast. I would like to get one. Whats a jlo? 2 cycle?

james c

yes i think it is, ive never owned a jlo so im not sure, picking it up by perris races next weekend so ill bring it there to be seen by the guys racing. you oughta go race out there next week. i was in lake elsinore last weekend and brought my dunecat and drove all day long on it. had a great time

Hi James c : So you took the plunge for the Ruppster. Your issue with the engine not staying running is probably 80% chance that it is the carb or fuel pump. On some parts old and stiff is not good LOL and especially old carb diaphragms so a rebuild kit would be a good consideration. If the spark is there and you have a good plug then it usually boils down to the fuel side.
Some of the Rupp's draw the fuel up from the top of the fuel tank and they use a small screen nylon filter on the end of the pick up tube down inside the tank. My Centaur's fuel tank was that way.
Steve :scooter:

james c

thanks steve, i was going to pm you on this, i found the old thread and bumped it back up to review this machine. bought unseen in person but looks great other than the engine probs.

I have a JLO that won't run at idle. Mine has too much wear on the throttle shaft and is sucking air through the shaft. Mine is a tillotson HR carb with a pump. I've been told the pump diaphrams go bad if they sit very long.

james c

looking for jlo 230 starter or whatever will fit, cant believe it was removed from the motor,
did not notice untill i got it home

james c

so far paint looks good and it has a really nice roll bar and lights installed, new tires that are not the right size but are okay for now. new wiring that should be okay. original disk brakes that have had the master cylinder relocated to the rear for some reason.has 230 jlo with fuel pump, some little things overlooked but easy fixes like the pull start pulley system to pull starter rope from the rear. (still has the hardware to fix).

james c

replaced the top end with nos cylinder piston and rings, fired it up and seems to run.
carb is out of adjustment as i have to keep the throttle up a bit, i think there was quite a bit of old oil in the crankcase as it smoked alot when started. still in testing phase
but looks promising. only ran it for ten seconds at a time but does respond to the throttle very well.

james c

ran the engine for ten minutes, all is good except the carb continues to spill gas after running and the starter rope only catches at the last foot of cord?
please help (steven durham)

does the carb have a bad gasket? or maybe one of the idle screws/ air mixture screws are loose.. or one of the screws rattled loose from running.. and for the pull start maybe the teeth are wore out and it only catches were the teeth are on the last foot or so of cord when you pull it??

james c

was running great but now it only bogs when i hit the throttle? whats up with that?
switching over to the 21/11/8 tires and having a hell of of a time, (front wheels) roll bar is in the way and im searching for racing studs and spacers for the front end.
please help with the carb issues.