Rusty tank and pickup questions

I recently bought a go kart with a 5 hp briggs on it..The tank has rust inside and the screen on the bottom of the long pickup tube is rusted off...What is the best way to fix the rust in the tank?...Secondly how can I fix the screen on the pickup?

JustEnough

5hp Briggs are very common. Salvaging a tank from a junked engine might be the best approach. Check the local mower shops for a junk pile. The down side is the tank is often the first part to go bad on these engines.

If you have to save this tank, you could degrease it with water and laundry soap, then soak it overnight in white vinegar ($2.00 a gallon at the grocery store). If the cleaned part looks good enough to use, you could do a final cleaning with this:

BEHR 1-Gallon Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Etcher

The reason that you use the laundry soap and vinegar first is to try to keep the $20/gallon etcher clean for reuse. The reason that you would use the Behr etcher last is that parts derusted with vinegar are prone to flash rusting, but the etcher leaves some kind of surface that is less prone to rusting.

Last edited:
If you've got a tank with a lot of rust, you can fill 1/3 with water and drop it some clean stones. Shake tank around to loosen rust. When you've got it clean enough, dump out water and let dry. If you have pin holes rusted through, you can clean with solvents and coat with a gas tank sealer like por 15.

Yeller, Evaporust. Best product on the market. It's gentle, thorough, and removes every speck of rust. Not sure if it's available in Canada, but certainly available on line. Ogy

Thanks for the tips guys..Any idea how I can fix the pickup tube?..I was thinking maybe I could clamp some soft type screen around it?..

Go with what ogy said, Evaporust, I used that several times and currently cleaning out a Honda ATC110 tank and its doing a good job of it. Muric acid is a last resort for me.