Ruttman Questions

Does anyone know what motors (make and hp) originally came on Ruttman bikes (as in Vulture, Spyder, Horny Toad, Wild Goose, ect)?

Also what were the original color options and tire make and model?

I checked all the photos but didnt see a brochure. I know I have seen one before and there are a couple on eBay but the photo is not clear enough to read the print. Is there a separate place for brochures?

Mean Dean

This can get lengthy. in 1970 The Horny Toad came in three colors. It was a entry level bike at $99.00. 3 H.P. Most were Purple,Orange and Sublime Green. You could order a 4 H.P for $20.00 more. Tires were Carlisle 4.10 3.50 x4 double indian head diamond tread tires.The Vulture is a toad frame with fenders and a 4 H.P. standard. Add the deluxe 19" seat .Add a few more colors Red,Yellow and black, You could order one in a special color for $10.00 more.. The Vulture was $129.00.The Goose is the same but had 5 inch aluminum wheels, Carlisle 5 inch double indian head tires with diamond tread tires Ruttman also used Eliminator tires also on the 5 inch.. large deluxe seat chrome fenders. 5 H.P. was $20.00 more. $149.00. The Spyder was the fancy top of the line. Standard was 4 H.P. $20.00 more for a 5 H.P. Springer front end, Chrome fenders. 6" 5 spoke Astro 4" wide wheels. Deluxe 19" seat. Same colors. Tires were Carlisle trials 5.30 4.10 x6 on the rear and 4.10 3.50 x6 front. $169.00. $189.00 5 H.P. Spyder SS with torque converter was $209.00 The Grasshopper Chopper was $199.00. Any other questions let me know. I would gladly answer. Ruttman went to Cheng Shin tires in late 1972. Cheaper price. Cheng Shin called them Universal Tread. Hope this answers a lot for you.

Thank you guys that is exactly the info I was looking for!!! I kind of like the tread on thea Cheng Shin tires so I was wondering if they were considered OEM. Great images and info! Did the two tone seat come in black and white only or where the black and silver (with the sparkle) also available?

Mean Dean

Yes Cheng Shin were standard OEM after 72'. The seats were all black pleated and padded with Silver glitter in marine grade naugahyde. I reproduce the seats with NOS materials better than the originals. After 1975 They went with Cheaper seats that were all black no more 1" pleats or silver. They used that style until he closed the doors in 1986. The only color you could get was Black after 1980. All Spyders small or large frame came with a large 19" seat.

Last edited: