Ruttman wheels help please!!!

DSCF0447.JPG I just picked these wheels up yesterday and I was wondering what the best way to clean them or refinish them is? I'm trying to avoid ruining the originality of them if that is even possible. At the worst I will put them on my bike like they are but everything will be redone and the wheels will look not so good. help would be very appreciated. Thanks guys. DSCF0448.JPG

Last edited:
yea they do in the pic. it was hard to show detail. I guess I can't keep them totally original and make them look brand new. I was thinking of doing a light sanding to the whole wheel to kinda even out whats there. I was told that when new they were painted or covered with something like paint?? and its like chipping/peeling all over.

Somebody may have painted the wheels in there life time. Lots of folks spray them with silver paint. If they are painted, just try some acetone on a rag and rub to see if silver comes off. I use 3M scotch brite pad with chrome cleaner. Works pretty good. I also sand the with 1000 sandpaper and then steel wool with alumin cleaner.:thumbsup:

before

After
These wheels was really bad.

wow!! worked well though. so I'd be ok to sand them. I just didn't want people to be like oh my lord I can't believe you did that to those wheels.lol or some crazy crap. they are original and I didn't want to loose my investment. they are going on my washer frame

CarPlayLB

I also thought about doing the chrome. man does that look good. your pic was one of the bikes I was looking at and reason I like the ruttmans. nice bike!!!
Thanks...but I am a lazy man! I took mine and had them polished! I have all the equipment here to polish some stuff, but the inside of these wheels would be a PITA!
Keep us posted...follow Manchesters's advise...she know wassup!

wow!! worked well though. so I'd be ok to sand them. I just didn't want people to be like oh my lord I can't believe you did that to those wheels.lol or some crazy crap. they are original and I didn't want to loose my investment. they are going on my washer frame
That's 1000 sand paper..............Not 100.:laugh::thumbsup:

well i'll do what I can. I was going to polish them but I think I will just smooth them out and paint like a flat silver/gray to try and keep them vintage looking. I want the washer frame/roller to look somewhat original. I know you guys will kill me for this but it will have a clone on there. it's going to be my cruiser bike seeing that I already built my "drag" bike.

capguncowboy

well i'll do what I can. I was going to polish them but I think I will just smooth them out and paint like a flat silver/gray to try and keep them vintage looking. I want the washer frame/roller to look somewhat original. I know you guys will kill me for this but it will have a clone on there. it's going to be my cruiser bike seeing that I already built my "drag" bike.
Clone isn't a big issue because it's easily fixed. Painting the wheels? :doah: If anything, have them beadblasted and clear coated.

from what I was told they had some type of coating or paint when they were new. as of right now they have some type of paint or coating on them. so what ever is done is done! but I do agree with bead blasting them.